Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting/ Drilling Titanium

We have just picked up some titanium with thicknesses ranging from 1.6- 5mm can someone give us some tips for cutting and drilling it.

Thanks

Will
    http://www.teamshock.4mg.comwww.teamshock.4mg.com

avoid grinding it- the sparks are explosive and cancerous, mill it, saw it, whatever..

Drilling, take it slow, use lubricant, if you get it hot, youve had it.. the hotter it gets, the harder and more brittle it becomes.

Any idea what grade youve got? I found grades from 4 downwards (the un alloyed titaniums) are pretty easy to work with, GR5-AL (Somthing like that, carnt remeber the exact code) is a pain.

You can grind it if you take a lot of precautions (open air, breathing mask, proper grinder protection) although I have set myself on fire with it before.

Drilling I would use HSS drill bits and ALOT of lubricant to keep it cool as dave says. I have used cobalt drill bits (great for hardox) but they blunt far quicker with it.

As I have ground, disc cut and welded Ti a number of times I am interested to know how/why it is cancerous (carcenogenic (might be spelt wrong!)).
    If this is the case, as well as explosive!!! there should be some advise available, can the FRA help? this should also be the subject of a new thread in Safety Discussions.
    PS keep your drills very sharp and cool.
    PPS whilst grinding I set fire to my jeans in the crown jewels department the other day, I was left with a big hole in them!!! The jeans!

Titanium dioxide is even used as food coloring (E 171).

Roboteer

Always wear safety gear while working on your robot.
    Especially when using grinding equipment, wear a face mask/ respirator.
    Dust does not need to be toxic to cause breathing difficulty and related complaints.
    Kane Aston
    http://www.makerobotics.com

Co-owner and builder of BEHEMOTH

Youve just rung a bell Leo, on checking my toothpaste Ive found it contains titanium dioxide!
    Titanium may not be explosive either (more info please) but the sparks can toast your nadgers!

I always thought that Ti alloy had magnesium in which is why the sparks are so hot.

Register To Comment