Register To Comment
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 UK championships

adrian the tv program robot wars had limited attendence. robots live have limited attendence at some of their events. the more robots the better yes indeed. but what you have to remember is that roaming robots did last years uk champs at a financial LOSS. there is always that risk no matter where the event is held and by whom. if we have to qualify then so be it. i would think qualifying would be part of the uk champs itself so the more robots attend qualifiers the better wouldnt you say. all that said i have a baby due anytime and its quite possible i wouldnt be able to attend a qualifying event. so if envy doesnt make it to the uk champs i would be gutted but i wouldnt MOAN about it. also that said could envy qualify if i sent jason with it or mabee another roboteer who would do me the honour of at least trying. if thats allowed.
    still there may not need to be trials before the event if the limit of robots applying is not exceeded. i will apply anyway

please dont turn this into another long negative discussion.... Ive said it before and ill say it again..... we need to work together if we want our hobby to survive, not arguing about things with each other.

I think the subject of qualifiers is a bit premature.... it is NOT considered that everyone will have to qualify.

We will have 24 spaces open, with a few reserves, only if we get to a stage where we ended up with a silly amount applying... ( very unlikely ) then we would need to sort it out somehow.

Fairford has always had a limited attendance, and the only reason for this is the camping, we are provided with 30 FREE pitches. If teams want to come and not camp ( which in most years has happened for some) then of course it opens up more spaces.
    In the past we have never hit our limit, of course any foreign teams / seeds wishing to attend would most likely be shown preference.

The FRA Governing body made their decision on tenders supplied by all organisers, I decided after 2 years of taking risks, it was time to go for a more secure and financially better option.
    Including free camping, 2 days of shows ( 16 hours ), and a 1000 prize fund, all provided by the RAF, and no risk to me.

Lets take a step forward together !!!

John
    http://www.roamingrobots.co.ukwww.roamingrobots.co.uk

Jonno, if there is anyone who has the best interest of the sport at heart its you.

I will go on the record and say i really dont like the decision on naming Fairford the place for the UK champs but i do understand your reasoning behind it.

Therefore I will not mention anything more about the decision, and I will just apply for Fairford and look forward to beat the living daylights out of other robots there, including yours.

Fantastic. Glad to hear that both events are going ahead this year!

Sadly I wont be at the heavyweight champs this year as I will be in the states but I want to see vids on youtube asap after the comp!

adrian theres 12 seeds / well top 12 from 2007 champs, they are

Big Nipper,THZ,Iron Awe 5,Dantomkia ,Kapow ,Beast ,Turbulence ,Ripper ,Tiberious ,Kanopener ,Velocirippa ,Envy
    6 out of these i class as flippers, i should think these 12 robots will be there as there seeds, but i guess these could change on winter tour results and also foreign teams will be there. i cant remember how many robots attended 2007 champs but it wasnt that many over 24. even for robot wars most of us had to do trials and the less likely contenders and even good robots dont get on , and that was more of a big deal as it was on TV. also 1000 in prize money means theres alot of money to be won . we will have to wait and see if theres over 24 robots tho but i cant seeing anyone having to trial as some teams wont be able to make it due to work just like last yrs champs?

will be a good event with 10s of thousands of people walking around and watching

cool for me if envy is a seed. i fancy it this year. envy has had lots of upgrades and just about ironed out flaws so looking forward to it.

Register To Comment