Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Nipper

Hello - me again .

I decided to start this thread, to say how much I think Big Nipper is wonderful.

The electrics in most robots are reveltively simple. But Big Nipper - http://www.robotslive.co.uk/images/eventpics/exel.jpg
    http://www.robotslive.co.uk/images/eventpics/exel.jpg (I cant copy and paste)

I wish to ask three questions to the Big Nipper team.

1: In the 2007 UK Championships, which fights were your most and least favorites?
    2: How much of Big Nippers weight is armour and how thick is it?
    3: How does it work?

Thanks.

Splinter has been taken on a ride on those prongs on several occasions. Big Nipper is still one of my all time favorite robots.

The very first thing I remember about Big Nipper was it whacking the wing off of Razers sri-mech in its first TV fight in Series 5. Before those first two seconds it was just another box on wheels (sorry guys!!) but now I know its much much more.

Got a question for the Big Nipper guys too:

Weve got Little Flipper, Little Spinner and Little Hitter - any plans for a Little Nipper? That would be sweet
    (would love to have a go at a Little Nipper myself but dont feel that I would do it justice)

not a fan, all the damage caused to tanto by big nipper came after they called cease,- winter tour final white board is the only i can prove but i knwo they did it in preston that year too,
    and any robot that admits to weighing over the limit is cheating, i dont care if there is a 2% allowence, there shouldnt be one

as a piece of engineering its one of the best but i am never going to like a robot that attacks after the bell and is overweight

Cant please everyone , but Ill to try and answer some questions raised.

In the UK Champs, best fight for me has got to be the Final with THz. We never know what will happen but it always makes for an entertaining fight, mind you THz always seems too no matter who its fighting. Cannot really pick out a least favorite as there are too many . Guessing at what the weight in armour is but Id have to say its around 30kg, not really weight just the armour bits on there own. The arm itself weights in at around 30kG too. The thinkness depends where, as it varies all over the robot. The top main plates are just under 8mm, bottom are 6mm down to 4mm where in contact with the chasis, sides are 5mm for the most part with 10mm ribbs. Front and back are also 6mm. Cannot remember the thickness on the Arm think its 4mm. As for the chasis, its Aliminium and most is 30mm think, which is milled down in pockets & holes all over to reduce the weight.

As for how it works, thats a long one, Real Robots Magazine did a 3 issue article on it but in a nutshell it only has 3 motors inside, 2 for the drive, 1 for the weapon. The Weapon motor is right at the back and has a electronic clutch attached to either side, on for the lifter and one for the crusher. The Crusher is chain driven to a 20:1 worm gear inside the arm with the worm wheel attached to a ball screw, the nut has 2 levers attached to it which then attach to the jaws, this arrangement gives approx 1:1.5 leaverage (15mm of movement on the ball screw gives 10mm on the tips of the jaws). The lifter is a little more complex but basically has a 400:1 gearbox connected to a 20mm shaft that then has 2 sets of chains (a further 2:1) that lift the arm from both sides.

The electronics to control it now have 2 sperate DX6 2.4GHz receviers (one for the weapon and one for the drive), the drive one connects to an interface/mixer board that can be reprogrammed to how my brother preferrs to drive it, It also controls the acceleration & deceleration of both the stright and steering controls at different rates. The weapon has the same interface/mixer board but with adtional functions enabled for the 4 limit switchs and 2 clutches to overide the controls if it will damage the robot (when it works) and to engage the clutches at the correct times depending on the transmitter stick postions and limit switchs.

Have looked at doing a Little Nipper, with the increase to 13.6kg I think its more realistic to build a competative one, weve talked about it a few times and who knows oneday we might just have a go but no certain plans yet.

Craig, you should know me better that that, I would never knowingly attack another robot after cease, but sometimes its hard to here it so apologise if I did. I would like to know how we managed to damage Tanto as I didnt think it was possible with all that armour you have. As for the weight, well we are always going to use the full weight allowed at events, and as long as it is allowed we will use it, there are far worse fat robots around. Bet you wouldnt have said that if you had a robot with CO2 in it

Iron Awe 5 was a very good machine, but in both fights it snapped the shaft of a drive motor which casued it to loose drive, we used to have the same motors in big nipper and have had the same problem with them as well. If it was not for this it would have certainly been even more interesting fight.

How much does Big Nipper weigh Mark?

Register To Comment