Register To Comment

Thread: Motors and Wheels

Ive nearly finished our latest robot, Storm Wolf, but I wanted to know how other people mounted their motors. Weve got feathergold motors and 4:1 reduction gears.

Also, do you attach the cogs to the wheels or the cogs to an axel to a wheel?

Thanks,
    James Davies, Team BallistiX

I depends on what machining facilities you have avaliable. I bolt the wheels onto my sprockets, and the wheels have internal bearings that run on a fixed axle. However I have a CNC mill so getting the holes concentric isnt a problem. It may be easier for you to Key the gear and wheels, again I dont know what options you have.

Weve only got quite basic stuff, piller drils etc. Where do you get your wheels from???

James Cooper, the 100mm dia blue wheels. I have always used the same method, at least in the last 3 feathers anyway. Although when I first started I had problems keeping chains on because of the concentricity of the sprokets to the wheels.

If you are using spur gears then if you get the same concentricity problem it will push sideways on the motor shaft as the wheel goes round. This will shorten the life of the motor as the beargins the the gold will suffer (especially if they are the 12V version that only has the one bearing). It will also cause the windings to rub on the magnets.

Anyway not all bad news I would stick with attaching things to a revolving axle with a bearing at each end of the axle if possible.

Thanks

Register To Comment