Register To Comment
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed 100kg weight rule - East Mids and Yorks area discus

2. In the words of the good dragons den... Ill tell you where im at....

My initial responce was NO WAY!

Old ripper is just about keeping going, and already only has a small amount of top armour to get it in weight. 102kg without gas.

Theres pysically no way it could loose 2kg without a major overhaul of the drive system.... something im not prepared to do on the old girl !

The new ripper, has 4kg of gas, and already it is slightly over weight and the plan is to loose enough to give it a hardox body, and the thought of loosing 4kg is scarey.

Baring in mind though that it would be the summer of 2009 before it was officially weighed at the new limit, i know that it most probably will hahve been rebuild buy then, and the new weight limit would be taken into consideration.

I am warming the idea to a grandfather type of rule, all it means is that we fade the rule in slowly... all be it very slowly... old machines can continue... new machines use the rule as they could be classed as an improvement on old machines anyway.

When would grandfather rule kick in.. machines built from when January 2009, or January 2008??

I think that is possibly the way forward to accommodate everyone.

John
    http://www.RoamingRobots.co.ukwww.RoamingRobots.co.uk

4. im still for the 80kg weight limit lol

I think john has the right idea, with the proviso that anything new from jan 2008 will have to comply with the 2009 rules, in the same style as F1, cars must be made to conform with rules for 2010 even back in 06.

What about robots that flaunt the 100kg limit with 2%, I hate that, 100kg is 100kg not 101.6kg or 102kg
    if you weighed in at 101.6kg at my event i wouldnt let u compete
    100kg should is the maximum weight limit not recommended limit build close to it not over it!

i too like the grandfather rule. nice idea

Craig: If people deliberatly build to 102kg empty I wouldnt be happy either.

There are heavyweights in Holland and Germany (please dont forget our GRA friends, remember Tsunami?) that would have a pretty much impossible task of getting their weight down. If these robots are covered by a Grandfather rule that would be great. I am still not sure how much of an old robot would constitute a grandfather robot though.

For instance, I bought Hannibal, a series 5 robot. After 1 demo fight we ripped out pretty much everything that was originally in there, except the motors and the wheels, and replaced it with new stuff. So pretty much the only thing left original was the shell and the motors and the wheels. Is that still a Grandfather robot? My first instinct is no. But what if I had only changed speed controllers? Then Id say yes.

How far do you need to alter your robot not to be considered a Grandfather robot?

8. I think the definition between old and new doesnt have to be a problem, use a bit of common sense to distinguish, For example if you rip the insides out, and keep the same chassis and shell, then it is the same robot. I think we would know if someone built a new robot.

Plus.. any robot wearing slippers is of course a grandfather Shane.... your a grandfather.

It doesnt automatically reduce the number of pneumatic robots, it makes it more of a challenge.

I think the grand father rule is the way forward. And think it should come in from January 2008.

John
    http://www.RoamingRobots.co.ukwww.RoamingRobots.co.uk

Mario: I was using Hannibal as an example of a radical change internaly, not that it would have a problem with weight.

I could go along with the grandfather rule, I think it is an elegant solution to the problem.

I have stayed out of this dicussion as it doesnt really affect me as I usually end up building a new heavy each year and I dont use pneumatics

But I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents on the grandfather idea. It is a very nice idea but instead of trying to define when a grandfather bot is no longer a grandfather because it has had too many upgrades etc how about we just set a long time limit of say 2 or 3 years for all bots to comply with the new rule set? So that in 2011 everyone would be fighting under the same rules, it wouldnt affect people in the immediate future and you would have plenty of time to plan how to remove weight from a bot.

Register To Comment