Register To Comment
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Storm 2

just 1 more post before i go and get some work done.

been browsing profiles and if you look at john reids profile i think we all know who is the real daddy of engineering. team bud refer to him as the oracle because he knows all. case rested

The only oracle here is Woody.

Hi Paul,

thanks for vote of confidence for Storm II, greatly appreciated.

Storm II certainly raised the bar when it was built (remember that Storm II was built back in 2001 and it€™s structure hasn€™t really changed since day one, in fact it€™s never even had a new chassis). There are aspects of it which are still ground-breaking, the speed controllers for which we have to thank Dave Gamble from Tornado are for example still second to none. Storm II get€™s it€™s power and agility thanks to some very careful modeling and planning before it was built. The drivetrain, speed controllers and motors were all picked and modeled (in just the same way that Beta€™s performance was modeled by John) to ensure a balance.

The robot is designed to have a central, low centre of gravity with attention paid to weight distribution left and right as well as front to back. The ramps in the speed controllers and adaptive current limiting are all there to ensure that the robot remains as controllable as possible. The weapon system bolts in and out and it totally interchangeable (more on that later)

Over the years a few things have changed, the lifting arm and now most recently a self-righting mechanism have been added - and we don€™t mind saying that there€™s more potential in the future with an electric axe mechanism being looked at as well as the potential for a hydraulic claw.

Storm II is certainly a well rounded machine, and one that has remained very competitive for 6 years, but the best engineered€¦ I doubt it - but it€™s certainly one I€™d still put in my top 5 machines currently active in the UK most likely to win any given competition.

Some of the robots mentioned above by others are real works of art, just working with the Titanium armour on Storm II was tricky so to me Big Nipper is a remarkable feat of engineering.

Id say John Reid has a justifiable claim on best engineered robot with Beta and THz (and he had significant influence on the design of our arm mechanism - thanks again John). Ive never seen Warhead live but certainly impressed by the footage I have seen

Tim
    http://www.teamstorm.com
    http://www.teamstorm.com

As Tim said above, as all the events over 2007 average Storm II is probably in the top 5 robots in the UK. In opinion it is goes as follows.
    1)Big Nipper
    2)Thz
    3)Tiberious 4
    4)StormII
    5)Envy / Kronic (cant decide - Evny has been very much improved over the year, Kronic has had its problems but generally solid)

Maybe slightly different if I spent more time on it. So sorry if ive missed someone obvious off my list. This is just from 2007 obviously.

ed i am truly honoured that you think envy rates in your top 5. thankyou

Well for this year, I am sure that you would have beaten either version of Turbulence easily. But next year maybe a different story.

i will welcome a good old rumble with turb. make sure its ready for leicester event.

Storm II are one of my favourite robots.

But speaking of the best engineered robot.....it has to be Anarchy from series 6.

Definitly the best walking robot ever.

I think the top five robots in the UK are:

1.Terrorhurtz
    2.Storm II
    3.Big nipper
    4.Turbulence
    5.Kronic/Scorpion

TAN are very good to.Shame there not from the UK.

terrorhurtz
    big nipper
    kan opener
    storm 2

there my top 4 - think 3 of them r in prob top 5 robots who can do most damage aswel and if it was full combat im sure these 4 would make it to the last 4

(Message edited by john on October 24, 2007)

Register To Comment