Register To Comment
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Big wheels on a heavyweight

Im looking to make the next robot with large wheels similar to a car (500 mm diameter) the wheels will be exposed what do the forum recommend,
    1/ a ridged wheel that wont bend.
    2/ a more flexible wheel that distorts with the knocks and springs back.

Have flexable ones...........barbarous are another example with flexy wheels.

its swings and roundabouts Craig, TAN has flexy wheels and will degrade under attack but will stay on (mostly)
    My (Tanto) has hard more solid wheels they with stand alot of punishment tyres can degrade but wheels stay on,
    I would suggest a solid centre slightly larger than the dia of the body of the robot (assuming u go invertable like tanto) with soft tyres that way if u loose your tyres it will still work.

but with 500mm your proberbly better going for flexible lighter wheels

hells teeth 3 with the monochassis made from stainless had huge wheels. we tried to make them rigid and brace them but still bent. still it did run well. i would go for flex too. i liked that robot too.

What plastic makes good flexible wheels?

been sat here thinking of how to make some flexi wheels. here is my plan.

get some nice 15mm polypropolene and cut out 2 circles of whatever dia you wish. lets say 400mm. then drill a hole for the shaft. mabee 30mm holow shaft fot a bit of strength. make a carrier to hold the 2 pieces of poly to the shaft a bit like a kart setup. space out the 2 pieces of poly to about 80mm. between the poly put in springs so the 2 pieces will have flex but then add a bit of strength. then get a nice thick piece of tyre and screw it to the 2 pieces of poly around the outside. when the wheel flexes the tyre should flex with it.

is that a bit too much work for some flexi wheels???????

HDPE

Its what is used on TAN, still the same wheels since series 7.

dont like my genius plan then :sad:

Register To Comment