Register To Comment
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Event Insurance

its not the robots that are my concerns.

I wasnt going to but....

It covers 3 things as far as im concerned.

1) If a robot gets destroyed RR are not to blame.
    2) If a roboteer hurts themself in their shed, RR are not to blame.
    3) If a robot gets dropped on someones foot in our pits, then RR are not to blame.

It was in the paperwork, exactly the same last year. Why it wasnt picked up then ive no idea... maybe people didnt bother reading into things so much, or maybe they just didnt read it. It was put in as it was a class 2 event, and there was a higher potential for robots being destroyed.

If a robot was flipped out of the arena, and it broke the outer structure, escaped and hurt an audience member, common sence says that it was the arena at fault, and so the event organisor gets sued. Not the roboteer who flipped the robot out, and certainly not the roboteers whos robot did the damage.

If it was me in that situation, i would hold my hand up and admit liability if i considered it my fault.

The same if a racing car breaks through a barrier at a track and hurts someone... would the driver of the car be sued.... no, the event organisor would because the track wasnt up to the job.

This is exaclty why the FRA was created, to reduce the risk of something ever happening.... and if you look back to when events were being run in school playgrounds, id like to see someone try and say it hasnt done its job !!

John
    http://www.RoamingRobots.co.ukwww.RoamingRobots.co.uk

If a robot was flipped out of the arena, and it broke the outer structure, escaped and hurt an audience member, common sence says that it was the arena at fault, and so the event organisor gets sued. Not the roboteer who flipped the robot out, and certainly not the roboteers whos robot did the damage.

As it should be. But your insurance might read the statement that you have written in the rules and interpret it, as I have done, to mean that you are (hence they can) pass the buck on the robot responisble for the accident.

I agree fully with what Debbie said the the last post. John this is not calling into question your ethics, but just the way the 3 things you have said above are phrased. The statment in the rules is worded badly if that is what it is supposed to mean.

Personally I would like to see that paragraph of the rules reworded before the start of the competition.

I agree. The statement in the rules doesnt seem to mean what RR wants it to mean (this is not a dig at RR, just my opinion). I think a mild rewording of the rules would sort this problem out once and for all.

6. That sounds a lot more like what you intended indeed Jonno. Nice choice of words Woody.

Sounds spot on to me

9. John, I think things have gotten a bit mixed up. The statement as intended is fine but also confusing as it is not direct enough. I am perfectly happy that if we do stupid things then we are responsible. But if we stick to the rules and something still goes wrong and injures an audience member, who is legally responible. Any insurance company will look for a way out, and the statement says that if we enter the competition we agree to a rule that says we are responisble for all claims and damages. This is a clear exit route for the insurance company, this may then land a roboteer with a law suit and as far as I know non of us have insurance to cover our robots.

I have been in touch with Jonno and am happy that this section should be removed from the rules, so as far as I am concerned the situation is ok. So lets get on with the champs, hmm... better get the robot built then.

Register To Comment