Register To Comment
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: To those who care to read

I agree with Graig, Robots live and roaming robots have to work things out together.

None of us are buyest to one or the other (afaik), but it is obvious that some animosity exists. I dont care who started what and why someone stopped talking to someone else, you are all mature enough to sort things out amongst your self. The FRA need not to get involved in this.

As far as the attendance of roboteers in Hemel H., I dont believe that people refuse to go to Haven because of the Hemel Hempstead event. It is more likely that roboteers are not going because it is a long way away for most teams, and not everyone is as keen to travel that far. Even I had to do some soul searching to decide if it is worth it. To me it is, but I dont hold it against the other teams for not showing, Ive seen the map.

3. Im totaly unbiased, Im going to both, even it means a 16 hour total transport time. Thats being dedicated to the sport (not saying others arent, I obviously dont have the same restrictions as, say Glen does, as he has to work).

I just hope that all this squabbling will stop soon and the nice freindly atmosphere returns to the sport.

Long Live robot combat!

more for the rant............

i think there should be a spending cap, stop this silly £12000 robots turning up, you shouldnt be allowed to spend more than £5000

be amazed how much money you can save when you do the work yourself and dont get it made by a fancy company

Tanto is resonalbly competitive and it cost less than £1000 to make you dont need £3000 titanium jaws Andy thats just silly

ooo im getting spitefull in my old age

Im not trying to have a go at certain people directly its jus my opinion and for once im getting it all off my chest, its been like a bra of opresion and now its time to burn my bra!

This disscussion has been done to death. My view is two fold, firstly how do you put a price on your own time also if you get things done or parts sponsored. Secondly it is good to have something for the rest of us to aim for. Turbulence won the champs last year, that didnt cost £12000, probably about £2500.

Putting pricetags on robots is something I disliked from day one. Naming prices during live events is even worse, because when prices of robots like Storm II (as a random expample) get mentioned, people in the audience that might be tempted to build one hear that and go oh heck no im not going to put up that kind of money for that.

If someone or some group wants to spend 10k pounds on a robot, I have no problem with that. But for every 10k robot there are 3 2k robots that can beat it. And that is what i like about this sport. The richest teams dont automatically win.

As Leo and ed said, its not about how much money you spend, its what you use and how you use it that matters. Storm 2 is only so expensive because of all the parts that have been made by people other than team storm. 1 inch of expensive titanium costing thousands isnt any better in this situation where spinners arent allowed than 3-4mm steel costing nothing.
    If you dont want to build a robot yourself you have to be prepared to spend ALOT of money for something that most people could build for free.

im not bothered what teams spend on machines, when i went to my first event, i saw all these fancy chargers, fans to cool batteries etc....take captain scarlet, prodigy or block of wood for example,i know their only feathers but finishing 2nd,3rd and 4th, in the uk champs. prodigy cost pennies, so i guess did block of wood, and then captain scarlet which is sold in kit form finishing 2nd this year and winning last year. it goes to show that you dont need to spend thousands to do well. i almost enjoyed the fact i could beat machines so well engineered/impressive looking. if i was so concerned about £3000 titanium jaws or thousands of pound storms then i wouldnt enter the event, but surely beating them is a good feeling being on a budget? i dont see nothing wrong with telling the audiance that you spend thousands as it shows your dedicated and serious about the sport your in, BUT it would be nice to say that you can build a cheap robot that can do well also, and maybe give examples at the same time. Im glad this sport isnt like football or F1, where its a case of who has the most money wins, as where would it leave us who dont have as much to spend. you can watch a grand prix, first race of the season and know who will be in the top 4, at least with this sport you have no idea who will finish where, which gives me an incentive to know it could be me and anyone has a chance.

also i have no idea regarding the bickering and what not, between event organisers, but all i do know if it wasnt for people like xfm,robochallenge, rr etc etc.... i wouldnt have anywhere to compete. i see things i dont agree with but without Andy Kane, the fra, this forum etc... i wouldnt be building robots

(Message edited by ady on August 10, 2007)

Register To Comment