Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEWCOMER

u sure you want to go middleweight? Featherweights seem to be much more popular. and there are starter kits available that can help you alot. im just starting my first featherweight build and there are plenty of people here that are more than happy to help with anything you might need to know.

Try http://www.xbotz.comwww.xbotz.com he has motors, speed controllers and much more.

Also Try www.Technobots.co.ukwww.Technobots.co.uk they have alot of stuff usefull for a robot build. they do realy low priced 4ch radio gear.

(Message edited by xtreme on May 11, 2007)

i certainly suggest feather weight, it would cheaper than this weight class, and easier i imagine to get your head around

Peter,

First I am going to echo the comments made above, go for a featherweight to begin with. Featherweights and heavyweights are the two weight classes with the most events held. Antweights are popular as well.

In answer to your question, I they would probably be ok but I would use something like the bosch 400 or 750 or a similar motor in a middleweight. Technobots have a range of motors which may be useful.

peter take no notice of all the above people and build yourself a nice heavyweight. straight in at the deep end you cant beat it

Given a choice I would always prefer a heavyweight over a featherweight. But there are serious disadvantages to it.

1: weight. If you are just 1 person building it 100kg of robot is quite a hassle.

2: transport. Heavies are bigger than feathers so you need a decent size car boot or trailer to move them. Taking a heavy on the bus or train is not really an option, some feathers are not even easy to take on public transport either.

If you have no problem with these 2 main disadvantages, Id go for a heavyweight if I where you. Otherwise for a feather.

The Dewalts are fine motors for feather and lightweight. For middleweight or heavy they would work if you use 4 or 6 of them, I wouldnt try it on 2.

Try http://www.gimsonrobotics.comwww.gimsonrobotics.com and look at there kits there cheap and they have ready to use motors with gearboxes and u can get wheels that fit straight onto them from gimson too. or just buy some 10 quid drills from argos and u have the motor and gearbox and batterys and chargers but dont know how well the batterys would work with the bot.

Register To Comment