Register To Comment
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Call for a ban on wedges

why ban wedges? this really winds me up. Its as bad as mentorn saying no robot can compete without a weapon, Saying no wedges would rule out almost all flippers, and previous Robot Wars winners.

Then how do u define a wedge bot? dont be dumb and just say its a wedge shape, we know that, but when does a wedge no longer become a wedge? Terrorhurtz for example can use its front end to wedge under and ram them into walls, i know it can ive been on the receiving end. Is it no longer a wedge when it has a weapon?

But this said a simple wedge bot can still be effective for example at folkestone Tanto went 5-1 wins to loses without a weapon and as a wedgebot, beating the likes of Terrorhurtz and Dominator 3.

Personally I think we need to start looking at this as a sport not a hobby, and as a sport we need to start concentrating on what makes the sport advance not what the public enjoys, i am aware of the fact we need the public support but personally id rather we got our house sorted and the worried about making it a spectical for the public

This has been a party political broad cast from the Wedgebot Party

Kan-Opener is upto F-Spec, not sure of the full history but as I understood it that will be the 6th full chasis, infact E & F spec are both fully working, would be interesting to see them fight each other . Very few robots last a few years of constant events.

At Robots live a few weeks back we broke our lifter in the 1st competition fight and still managed to win the event somehow. Our crusher worked but since it was on the floor couldnt use it, does that mean we should be banned as well?

I personally dont like wedges, but as long as they keep winning they wont go away and a doubt any event organiser will ban them as thats where most people start with their first robot and we always need more roboteers. That makes this thread really pointless, why did I bother posting.

4. ban the wedge, the box becomes popular,

ban the box, cyliners become popular,

ban cylinders.....

Where do you finish? If you ban something thats popular then the sport as a whole will suffer.

In short: No we will not ban wedges.

What we will do is encourage as many people as possible that if they do make a wedge, to make it an interesting one.

7. Wedges? Banned? In the FRA, do those words actually belong in the same sentence?

Wedges are, as said before, one of the most formidable designs out there. The only reason they were frowned upon is because other roboteers kept losing to them, and that makes them look like...outlaws...I think...

Most people have already brought up the point of the effectiveness of wedges, so I wont go into that. Thing is... banning wedges... what bots will be left? Spinners are already out of the picture, and for a good reason, theyre dangerous. Wedges banned, well see no more flippers, no more vertical crushers, no more vertical clampers, no more passive wedges, no more skirts (heck someone could be wedged by them, and whats the point of skirts anyway?) and hardly any axes.
    So, some succesfull machines that WOULD be allowed: TAN, Kan-Opener, Stinger, Tornado (with spike setup), Thor... ermz... ermz...

well here is my 2 pence worth.........ban wedge shape robots my ****

(Message edited by kane on February 23, 2007)

Register To Comment