Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My events, why no answers?

I have posted on the events page about an event that I am hopeing to run in Wollaston. As with other times I have tryed to run an event the response has been either none or not mutch.

I know that on one of my previous event attempts I did ask for more well known bots, as I thought at the time the ones I had were not known enough. And this caused the teams that had said they woud come to pull out.

If it is because I have not run a event before, I have run several SUCSESFULL ones, (none involving bots) including a 24hr roleplaying event, a sponserd walk and two RC car events, among others.
    ALL the people involved in the events said how good they were. So please respond on the thread, if you want to come.

3. Well, for starters, Wollaston, where? According to Multimap, England has 3!!!
    Try the first 3 digits of your postcode for a clue.

Next point as the lovely Audrey mentions - timing is everything. For this to be successful you would have to pick a weekend that doesn€™t conflict with an event by Jonno or Ed by roughly a fortnight. Presumably also to pick a time the kids will be off.

Onward we come to health + safety - What arena will you be using? How safe will it be? Will spinners be allowed? Are Heavies running? Have you the insurance for the audience, at the very least? Will we be getting visits from local council? Are we going to be on an even surfaced floor? Do we have tables at our disposal?

To more convenience things like - Where are we supposed to park? Where is the nearest train station/toilet/cafe/B+B/ pub? How do we get there? - directions, addresses and presumably contact details required.

Now I hate to sound demeaning and if I do, I apologise but I can€™t stress these points enough.

I feel sympathy for you, Audrey, I truely do. Im in South west wales myself - I couldnt be any further away from the action either.

Well, let me have a look at his announcement:

As to location: he has helpfully provided us with a (rather good) map and driving directions. Other event announcers are not always that specific so soon.

Date: He helpfully picked an empty weekend. Right after a big one, true, but you cant always choose a date when you work with other people, and it is only a display so Im sure the public will be interested in the battle scars as much as in the technology. Might be interesting too to show them what repairs/solutions you are planning.

As to safety... it is a static display which means you dont have to worry about an arena, transmitter control and work benches. Health and Safety are thus not really necessary, save for the fact that all displayed robots must be tethered, sharp edges made blunt by coverings, and at no time should the transmitters be turned on. The heavies need to be put as securely as possible. Note that he mentioned an ant competition if someone brings an arena.

Parking: see first point above. I can tell you that not that many event organisers have given such information so soon before an event.

Sorry Ceri, but I just couldnt help correcting you in this. And I hope that Stephen understands that it is not always possible to get people to come to your event, due to travel distances and other commitments... I sincerely hope some people might find their way over to you. But it is only interesting for those that live nearby so to speak.
    For me personally, that would be 2 hours driving to the ferry, 1 hour in the ferry, and 6 hours driving to the venue. Thats a day. I know a German roboteer who drives more than 8 hours in one go in order to be at a German Roboteers meeting. But everybody knows Germans are a bit lunatic... especially the Bavarian ones. Must be the beer...

5. Guest
    Ceri, the Wollaston that I live in is no:3 on Multimap.
    Unfortunatly the only date that the room is available is one week after the Winter tour final.
    As it says on the thred in the events section this is a static event, but if someone brings a ant arena I may have some ant fights. So yes there will be tables.
    As for the B+B/cafe/pub/toilet. It is in a working mens club so they are not realy relevent.
    I have put directions on the thred as well, also unlike a number of events, I am putting up direction arrows from a short distance away.
    Parking will be in the club car park or the pub that is just over the road. Unfortunatly the room is upstairs, so all bots will need to be caried up a flight of stairs to the room.

Thanks for your comments Elisabeth, you must have posted them just before I replied.

(Message edited by skybear on October 26, 2006)

(Message edited by skybear on October 26, 2006)

Seems likley Ed, but I still have a week and a bit to see if anyone responds and says they will come.

No probs Babeth and Im sorry Stephen. I hadnt actually clicked it with the events thread.

But I cant see many heavies being there with the flight of stairs and a £2 charge.

You should try the antweight forum though - theyre mad for this sort of thing.
    Any excuse to show off.

with regards to the ant, try on the forum in http://www.robotwars101.orgwww.robotwars101.org they might have some ants wanting to fight and an arena to boot.

Register To Comment