Register To Comment
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposals from the RFL

Ive read the thread (i also read the RFL forum regularly), and no, it didnt.

I dont mind standardizing, but I really dont see how this is going to improve the robots or the sport. I dont mind it if a american feather enters a dutch competition weighing 1.6 kilo more than us, Ill flip it anyway. But 15 kg, thats too much.

Were it really would count for me, the heavies, there is no difference.

So like I stated in the thread before: 13,6 kg for a feather i could go along with.

Thats a standard isnt it?

4. btw David, the reason we dont discuss LW-SHW, is because we dont have them, or at least not many.

David Calkins has shown a willingnes to move his proposals for feather and raptor weight robots to 13.6kg and 6kg respectively. Its not very tidy, but there does seem to be an emerging concensus around these figures.

There isnt an argument about lightweight and middleweight and superheavyweight robots on this forum because almost no-one builds them over here. Almost everyone in the UK builds either heavyweight or featherweight robots - with raptors as an additional class in mainland Europe.

I would guess that for the few that build lightweights the argument would be the same as that in the above discussion - in favour of minimising the change and hence adopting 27.3kg as the standard.

This would leave the weight increase at 10% or less for all classes in Europe with no class (I believe) facing a weight decrease. That sounds like a reasonable compromise to achieve a world standard.

The FRA would have to discuss the proposed change at a meeting of the governing body and decide whether to support it. If it did, it would follow past practice by consulting with sister organisations in mainland Europe and, if there was agreement, announce a date for the changeover. There is no particular reason for choosing any date, but I suggest that it might be for the UK Championships in August 2007. There are lots of alternative dates, but there is some history in choosing the anniversary of the Robot Wars competition for a weight change. It is also when there is a probability of US robots coming to the UK.

I hope that there will be a world weight standard for fighting robots.

Jeremy

6. In that case standardizing clear rulings on removable links is way more importants than a weight issue. As an event organiser you can always wave the weight limit of 1 or 2 guests arrive from the US, but when it comes to safety measures, we can not be so lenient.

15kg, cya guys. its bad enough as it is hence the 6kg class was opened. theres hardly any new roboteers and seeing much more destructive and armoured bots will only put more people off. consider featherweights dead if things dont change for the better, we need something other than a weight increase.

However i like the idea of a unified 10kg featherweights class. brings it back a little step however it would be a problem for the current feathers.

Register To Comment