Register To Comment
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinners

It is always the tricky question. I would love to say yes to lots of events with spinners but at the same time I dont want to destroy another robot. Perhaps more spinner events but limit the spinners power?

I realise that there are so many variables that can affect how a spinner performs but to be honest, is a crowd going to be able to tell the difference between 400 and 4000rpm? It would have to be done on an individual basis obviously and would throw up arguements about someone getting away with a bit more etc.

It is however a reasonable proposal (well I think it is anyway) which would allow more spinners into battles without so much chance of a robot being completely destroyed, exciting matches for the crowds and not so many big headaches for the event organisers.

I think realistically you could only have a spinner allowed event every 6 months, as its will get expensive for everyone else. I think we should see what happens at the UK champs we as a team will decide after that wether we would enter full combat events with spinners in the future. Trouble is for us it would probably take 4 months at least to do a full rebuild if the chassis was a right off. Which this year would mean missing the winter tour at least, which we hope to be entering as well im sure many others would be in a similar position.

or it will just eliminate the few remaining machines who attend the events.

Hi guys,
    Anyone who follows the RFL forum over here knows to well about this subject, and is sure of their point of veiw! but there is no easy answer.
    We have been pretty lucky against spinners in the past, but at roboGames we went up a weight class to retire a frame so I could build a new one.
    but this was good for the audience but not my pocket book...2 fights (Megabyte and Full Smash)
    destroyed 1Mag motor and 3 thors. I know I could have saved the thors if I would have tapped out, but fans dont want to see a bot wimp out with minor damage...they want the BIG spinner to EAT the damaged bot!!! I love spinner fights! But I also love Tosser/flipper fight just as much, if not more. There is action without as much damage!
    I think a flying bot can get a crowd on the edge of their seat, just as well as a spinner throwing sparks and pieces from another bot!
    I believe if you did 2 full combat events a year and the rest without spinners would be bettter in the long run, Exciting matches will bring in as many(if not more) new builders then Overly Destructive matches! I believe really destructive bots like Megabyte will will scare away perspective builders more likely then a bot that can throw another bot 10 feet across an arena!
    I also believe that a good modular spinner bot that can change from a spinner to a lifter or rammer would be good for alot of spinner guys, who really need drive practice any ways!!!:wink:
    Didnt tornado have multiple weapon set ups?
    Just my 2 cents,
    Cause Ill fight anything that wants to fight even if its not the smartest thing to do, but Wendy and I have this bot virus thing BAD and we will just rebuild after we get our BOTS KICKED!
    Until the draw of TV or big sponsor money come to the sport its hard to see anyone but the hardcore builders wanting to spend thousands of dollars or pounds at every event!

Tosser means something slightly different in the Uk Matt....
    a tosser fight might be unpleasant.

:blush::blush::blush::blush:
    Wooopsss
    I just spoke to my English to American translator
    I guess Ill have to post that one on a MUCH different forum

Register To Comment