Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual weapons?

Roboteer

Toecutter - All weapons should secured while the robot is out of the arena.

Robochicken and 8645T - These weapons would be classed as axe weapons.. Although hybrid weapons of this form are usually a compromise and are ineffective. 8645T although still competing do not use this setup any more.

Mace 2 and Tornado - The flail is extremely danagerous from a safety aspect as there are a large number of parts that can come detatched at high speed. Remember, the rules are there for safety and such as a disc can break apart, more so can a flail.
    Kane Aston
    http://www.makerobotics.com

Co-owner and builder of BEHEMOTH

I have a question regarding a Full body Thwackbot (FBT) I wish to build.

My robot would have the wheels pointing inward and the whole robot rotates on drive power, not by a seperate weapon motor like a conventional spinner, but the output RPM would be over 500RPM. I have read that if the output is over that it would classify as a spinner, however other robots can spin at a greater speed when they spin on the spot (as mine will), but are permitted. Would mine, or do the rules stop me from using the spin ability as a weapon ?

For anyone thats seen it, its based on my Antweight F.I.N

The entire machine rotates at over 500rpm?

Its a spinner in my book. I dont really see the difference between this and a melty brain bot except that the melty brain FBS is able to move whilst spinning.

Simple solution is to build something that falls on one side or the other of the line.

Its a tricky one but you would be best contacting an event organiser directly as it is ultimately up to them if a machine runs in their arena.

St Hammer will spin at about 160rpm that robot will run at about 16mph.
    If a robot would spin at 500rpm i think the terminal speed or the small distance for wheel base would make the robot hard to control.

It would be hard to control, I agree, but it makes for an impressive looking weapon, which is what I am aiming for.

David....

I think its something wed have to see before we could say.

There are robots out there which when they spin maybe could be classed as a spinner... but they dont use it as a tactic and have teeth fitted,

If your robot can spin fast on the spot, but not move while doing it, theres no real point as no one is going to go near you.

I wouldnt bother unless your think its going to win in full combat ?

John

I must say Im a bit disapointed by that response.

In terms of going near me, with 10 robots in the ring, someones gonna hit me eventually.

F.I.Ns tactic is usually to hit them, and whilst they are recovering, get pushing !

Doesnt always work, but it has before.

Anyway, it worth an ask

BTW, in terms of the rules, I think, if I got it to spin just under 500 RPM, I would be in the rules:

Quote:
    Full body spinning robots with an eccentric mass or €˜twackbots€™, are excepted from this
    section unless they spin over 500 revolution per minute [RPM].

well if yr in the rules.... good luck with it .

And ill eat my words when u win the 2009 uk champs ... probably want to build my own then !

john

Register To Comment