Register To Comment

Thread: Finally... (new builder)

Hooray, after a year of saying I want to build a feather, Ive finally decided to get things started (thanks to finding employment, hence the money to do it. Of course I want to be fully sure of everything before I start buying parts and getting on with the actual build).

My design is firmly in my mind, along with some of the specs:

Name: Rimrunner
    Type: 4WD pusher (box-shaped but with the wheels outside like King B)
    Motors: 2x24v golds
    Chassis/Armour: 10mm polycarb
    Weapons: Short spikes

I have a basic understanding of how a robot works (thanks to Team Kats site) but Im getting a bit lost in the field of information. I know theres a lot more parts than just the core bits (batteries, speedo, motors, drive train etc.) but I dont know what they are or what they do yet. (I cant find any guides as such from the various roboteer web sites)

I think the hard part will be working out what parts I need and where to get them from, do you find that the hardest bit, if so, have you any tips?

Calculating the weight is an issue too, Ive heard that people use various programs for this, is that right?

Finally (for now, heh) chassis construction: Ive seen pushers of this kind using some sort of L-shaped metal lengths (presumably ali) with holes all the way down as an inner framework, yet the other day I was reading a thread where someone mentioned tapping the chassis and not needing a framework like this - which is correct, and how is it all connected up?

Anyway, Ill be around on msn during most evenings (Ill finally start using this email address on it instead of my other one lol). Im also coming to the Preston event in 2 weeks time, hopefully Ill have a bunch of questions for then too.

Thanks for your time, hopefully I will soon be able to take that step across the fence from spectator to competitor

2. There is not a huge amount more to nkow than you already do stephan, but the thing is putting it together to understand properly. When you go to preston, there should be many featherweight roboteers willing to show your their robots, including me. This is the best way of understanding how everything works.

Its much simpler than you probably think.

Good luck, probably end up talking to you at preston sometime

Register To Comment