Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Something Special

Ive been thinking about the drive for one of my featherweight projects and looking at motor possibilities. Im looking for something to give it high speed and decent torque for some full body hammer ramming. These are some of the motors ive thought about.

4 24v feathers- fine but nout special.
    2 940 cobal astroflights without planetary- nice but would leave me with about £150-200 left for everything else and doubt thats enough.
    thing gap motors- im not even going to think about them :sad:
    24v dewalts.

anything else anyone can think of to give it some umph?

You could try the 18v dewalts at 24v with the team delta set-up. How much is your sponsor you mentioned before giving you?

Should be about £350 but its not technically sponsorhsip, its a grant for youth groups. I havent tried for sponsorship yet.

Reallistically i doubt i can afford many of the decent solutions but it might be nice to see if there are any possibilities

if you are looking to ram 2 24v golds can get you up to a very nice top speed or plenty of shove if you gear them right. Overvolting slightly (30v maybe) may be a good comprimise between the two.

4 12-14.4v drills at 18v should shift it although I dislike drills personaly had loads of trouble with them.

any advice on gearing golds? two stage pulley or spurs?

If your looking into pushing, use spurs or even chain/sprockets, or a combo depending on weight.

Mr Stu

I was thinking on using 4wd so chains would probably be easier i think. Would 4wd lower the speed if you only had two motors?

Alpha used a single stage gear reduction with 24v golds (at 24v). Other option maybe to use the 12v ones at 18v, stiff breeze uses overvolted 12vs and it performs very well. If you use golds i would suggest some form of cooling especially if overvolting. Have a look at the gold motor threads.

Register To Comment