Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Grades and also it versus polycarb

looking on the net ive found sheets of 2mm NS4 Grade Aluminium at 500mm x 500mm for under £20, How good is the NS4 grade and how good is that price, and more importantly is 2mm strong enough or do i really need something thicker.

I was reading an older post on here about polycarbonate and how drilling causes microscopic cracks etc etc, and its kinda put me off polycarb, aluminium must be much simpler to work with, and stronger ?

For chassis or armour? Polycarb can be easier to work with for a chassis pieces but I advise you use ali for armour.

2mm wont be anywhere near enough, for armour you have to look at least 6mm to survive any spinners and at least 4mm for a chassis. Try using HDPE or polypro, these are both similar and dont have the problem of cracking, it can also be heated to either melt it together or bend it.

ok can anyone tell me if this is a good kinda of polypropylene http://www.altecweb.com/home.asp?cat=category3800http://www.altecweb.com/home.asp?cat=category3800

6. I used Nylon 6 for my bmx seat post worked very well and never broke or bent after the huge jumps/landings and crashes it has taken. Although if it gets wet it seems to soak up water and expand rather alot as i left my bike in the rain and had to remove the seat post by bolting the frame to the floor, and getting a forklift truck on my seat lol.

oh, and i dont really see a huge need for more than 6mm ali armour and 4mm ali chassis. Venom has 3mm to 4mm ali for the main chassis and that stands up fine. espesially with the stress that goes through the arm, tonnes! for chassis i recommend around 3mm, and for armour theat polypro, simple and easy to use.

9. Alpha uses 5mm 6082T6 for base and lid.

6082 T6 seems to be the one to use. Its easy to get from the likes of Technobots, also its not too hard that it just cracks when it takes a big whack like 2014 does, but its not too weak that its pointless either. The one to go for.

Mr Stu

Register To Comment