Register To Comment
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some general tips please

Hi,

Is there anyone who could possibly give me a list of everything id need to run a robot, just the motors by remote control. I.e. speed controllers, batteries, motors etc. Ill be running two motors, one per side and i need them run kinda independently forward and reverse on both sides.

Thanks in advance to any help.

HI mark,

What you need depends on design and money available.

Basically you need;

2x Motors
    2x Speedcontrollers
    1x Interface (you can get all in one units, but can be expensive).
    Batteries (type and size will depend on motors, cost and voltage)
    1x Receiver
    1x Transmitter
    Wiring + Link

Try;

http://www.technobots.co.ukwww.technobots.co.uk

and have a look around other teams sites for ideas and see how they did it.

Thanks alan

Well the budget is very low and i was wondering what sort of motors would be ideal for less than £100 and would u know of any cheap transmitters that have both joysticks as up and down not the one up and down and one left right.

Probably best with wheelchair motors, as you can get them cheap/free and they already have a gearbox. But you might have to speed them up. A Skysport 4 is probably the best RC setup to go for, cost about £100 new, with TX, RX, NiCad batteries, servos ect. Might be able to get a 2nd hand set.

Ok thanks. what kind of interface would you recommend. Would the 4QD analogue relay be any good because it has an option for tank steering?
    Is there no transmitters cheaper with a similar setup? its just were running on a tight budget

If you decide to use wheelchair motors, it may be worth looking at some of the bigger featherweight speed controllers, which may be able to handle the current. These come as almost plug in and play boards all ready to run. (see http://www.stupoo2000.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/featherweights/ibc.htmhttp://www.stupoo2000.pwp.blueyonder...eights/ibc.htm)

You can get some heavyweight sized speed controllers like this but then you are looking at serious amounts of money.

Also, 100 pounds is the least youll be able to get a 4 channel transmitter kit (with Rx) new. Try Ebay though.

Daft question. do i need the servos with the transmitter?

Depends if you are going to use the servo-coupling versions of the 4QD controllers, but its most likely you wont need em

but an IBC is £180 and you will be pushing your luck running wheelchair motors with them. Might as well buy a second hand 4QD setup for about £100, at least these can take the current and have the option to use them in a heavyweight if you decide to go up a stage. I personally wouldnt use the analogue interfaces, much better to use a solid state system, even the cheap 4qd RX interfaces.

what kind of amp rating would my speed controller need to be if running wheelchair motors? Just a quick check what is the weight ranges for featherweight and middleweight robots?

Register To Comment