Register To Comment
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GERONIMO!

team_ireland
    All.

As all of you know I am from Ireland and have to fly to events. This is not a problem to me and I look on it as If someone will pay then all the better. If not Ill do my best to get over.

The reason why I am not attending any events at the moment is because I am doing no roboteering other than on the computer untill july as I am in 6th year which is the final year of Secondary School. Therefore I agreed with my parents not to do any robots until after my leaving cert is over. After that I am free to do as much as I like. So expect the return of an Improved Flipper next summer.

See you all there.

Bye Ian

talk about things getting taken out of proportion.

I had written a big reply, but cant be bothered.
    I give up with this forum.

in simple terms, i did someone a favour who was organising an event and needed a certain type of machine. An event for fun, where people have a choice, take part, or dont.

I post here to see if anyone had any old technogames machines lying around that they may fancy a bit of fun with.

what do i get back via the forum and emails....

this is a rip off,
    they dont know what they are doing,
    why arent we getting paid to make the machine?
    why arent we getting appearance money?
    why arent we getting accomodation provided?

in further simple terms, if you cant afford it, dont agree with it, or simply dont like it.....

DONT DO IT !!!

Im going to buy a bar in the sun, where people have to pay for beer and food !!

Roboteer

Jonno,

Will you have an arena next to the bar?

Could be a good combination!

Kane Aston
    http://www.makerobotics.comhttp://www.makerobotics.com
    Kane Aston
    http://www.makerobotics.com

Co-owner and builder of BEHEMOTH

OK folks, a few facts for you.

No one apart from Jonno and Paul Cooper (Technobots) are what could be described as professional roboteers.

If you dont do something professionally, you do it as a hobby.

Hobbies arent jobs.

Most roboteers dont have the first idea of what it takes to put on a live event, in terms of money, resources and time. If you dont believe me, ask Jeremy Cuss what the results were when Jonno asked those at the Huddersfield social how much they thought an event costs to put on. If you dont believe him, Ill show you the balance sheet from WITW 2002 and my outlay from the failed WITW 2003... which is a drop in the ocean compared to an event on the scale of what Jonno puts on on a regular basis.

One of the biggest outlays, if not the biggest, from any live event is roboteer accomodation. Not to mention the massive logistical headache of organising the accomodation, only for teams to moan about it afterwards.

No-ones forcing you to attend - you do it because you enjoy it.

Robotic Combat is not a high-profile sport most people have forgotten about it and think it died out when the BBC stopped showing it.

YOU ARE NOT TV STARS!

Join the real world folks, if you want to keep playing, you have to do what Jonnos done over the years and put your money where your mouth is.

Hi Steve.

You are correct. We are not stars. Nor will we ever be. The point that I was trying to make was that I and many others are already stretched to the limit. Financially and physically. There is no getting away from that.

I hold Jonno in the highest regard for his dedication to the sport. At the moment we are lucky that we can get some money back. But there will soon come a time when we have to pay to play like many other sports such as motor cycling, racing, go carts etc. Will I pay to play? Of course I will. It is my hobby after all. I just hope that many others will as well. I believe that they will.

If this informatio about the Geronimo venture has been made public earlier then I would most certainly have entered. Its fun and I hope it always will be. But it didnt so no matter how much griping I or others do there is nothing that I can offer.

I, like many others have been making things other than RW type robots. I have just spent a great deal of time and money making a boxing robot. This leads me to firmly believe that there is great interest amongst ourselves to build things and have fun with them and others.

I do not, nor should anyone else look for financial reward. It isnt there. period. But while part costs are covered I see this as a bonus.

TV will make a programme using robots, either combat or Technogames style. And when they do we should all remember that it will be a very low budget programme. It is in all of our interests to help the TV companies do this. If after a time they make enough profits then maybe we should get a shareout in the form of expences etc.

As Mario sais Damn, when money enters the equation it all goes down the drain. I for one do not wish to see this happen. It is after all a hobby.

Mike.

Roboteer

THE QUOTE IS AMAZING BABETH AND OH SO VERY TRUE ........... AND LETS FACE IT MOST ROBOTEERS EH WHAT A RIDE WE ARE ALL HAVING .......
    I KNOW I AM !!!!!!!!!!!...........
    ALL THE BEST TEAM TILLY

Register To Comment