Register To Comment
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can I.......?

2. at least they were understanding enough with babeth to grant disability, when my M.E. was at its worst i was refused disability allowance, which made me feel more guilty that i was being a strain on the family as they were getting no support for my treatment, i feel this guilt did me no favors in getting better.

but yes i can understand how babeth can feel that way,

and it has only just in the last year been reconised as a proper condition medically over here

Here in Belgium it has been regonized as a real problem a few years ago, so I was lucky. But I must undergo treatment at a CFS-reference-center and there are 6 of them in this country.
    There is one just 15 minutes driving from our home, with a satellite hospital just 100 meters from our doorstep, but my physician sent me to the one in Leuven, which means 1 hour and 30 minutes travel, 3 hours in total both ways.
    My last examination was in February 2003 and only on Friday November 21st Im going to get the final and completing examination before getting on the waiting list for treatment which is quite long.
    You see, I called them last week in order to find out how much longer I had to wait, turns out they forgot in February 2003 to send my paperwork to the proper department in the hospital and Ive been waiting all this time, thinking I was already on the list. I do hope they will speed things up now because my disability lasts until November 2006.
    And as Mario wrote, I do feel rotten about not being able to do my share for society. In Belgium the disabled are not permitted to have any kind of activity. Even helping as a volunteer in the local Red Cross required so much paperwork and vetting that I quit before I even started.

Our country has a professional tri-athlete who was a former Iron Man competitor (and winner), he got an accident while training and cant use his legs anymore. He wanted to go on with his sport in the wheelchair, but there is no great money to be made there and he needed his allowance. The administration has cut off his disability allowance because they found out that he has a company. He needed that company in order to travel to sports events and manage the administration for those events, he was not even paid by it, its just some people working for him. He lost his disability allowance because he is too active.
    He has found out the hard way that our wonderful administration wont let you try to remain active. You must fester away in a wheelchair or bed if it was up to them.
    Officially Im not even supposed to do for the FRA and the DRG what I do now.
    Personally, to give you an example, I dont dare washing my windows, they could check on me and throw me off disability because seeing me doing that they would judge that I would clearly be able to go to work again. They dont understand that a simple activity like cleaning my windows leaves me unable to do much else in the next 3 days.
    I hate bureau(c)ra(t)cy.

(Message edited by Babeth on October 16, 2005)

(Message edited by Babeth on October 16, 2005)

Register To Comment