Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Capacitors

Just a basic question, how much energy is one Farad? Is there a way to calculate how many Joules there is in one Farad?

Does this depends on something or is it always a fixed amount?

Many thanks Stefan, much appreciated.

Its just something Ive been thinking of as a weapon for our robot. Very exprimental at the moment, hence I dont want to give out to much information about it.

If you have MSN or something Id be happy to share some of my ideas, but not on a public forum.

Tell you now, a Farad is a big thing to generate.

Oh yeah, havent thought of that.

Its not an EMP weapon, though it does utilize a couple of big magnets (and Im not talking about solenoids).

I just happend to come by a similar project to what Im doing, and apparantly it should be more like this:

1/2CV^2

Where C is the capacitans in Farads, and V is the voltage in Volts.

Youre probably right about the inefficiency of discharging capacitors, or Im totally out of ideas.

Youre also correct on the fact that Im trying to accelerate something, but Im not sure about what results to expect. It may work great, which would mean that weve finally got an original weapon for our robot.

Or it may be rubbish, in which case Ill keep experimenting with it at home. In either case, Ive got something to do for the next few weeks.

As for the Ni-Mh batteries, were using NCC60s as speed controllers, it wont require a high current!

Register To Comment