Register To Comment
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CAD Drawings etc.

cruncher
    I downloaded Rhino 3d and all i tried i couldnt get the hang of it!

Jono, you dont need cad mate.
    Just get a load of bits, and bodge something together for your first time. You will learn alot by it. Then at a later date you can re design and improve on your current ideas etc.

Mr Stu

cruncher
    Yer ok,
    At the mo im using Word to do my 3d drawings in ( sad )
    Stu hopefully feather on the way !

Jono

Nice one.

Mr Stu

Yeah fair point.
    I for one use AutoCad (proberly not all of its features) and the results look like its been done in paint but it gives me a to scale drawing where to put things. So i know if things fit and how big to make my chassis and all sorts.

It can be and has been done without using Cad, only reason i use Cad to do those things is to pass time while im collecting bits hehe.

Mr Stu

8. At the risk of subverting another topic...

Since Im from a (software) graphical background rather than an engineering one, Ive never really played with anything which calls itself a CAD package - but on the other hand Im reasonably fluent in 3DS Max, Maya and SoftImage (not at home, btw; if I had the bank balance to own that lot Id have a robot by now).

Ive not tried designing a robot in any of those, but can I ask what features people use which could be considered CAD, rather than modelling, specific?

I guess its easier to rip out the components in a format suitable for driving machining hardware in a CAD package (Ive not seen that facility in the modelling packages, although it probably wouldnt be hard to pull out a trim curve if you restricted yourself to simple surface types). Ive also not seen weight calculation facilities, but again there may be a way to get a volume calculation. Ive spent all my time getting the surfaces looking right (I know exactly how to get a nice brushed metal effect, but that doesnt help much), so this isnt the kind of thing Ive ever tried to do.

Most of my proto-designs are half in my head, half on the back of an envelope, but Id be interested in knowing what people find useful. Id be inclined to model as a final stage before trying to build, if only as a rough attempt and to ensure that nothing obvious is going to go wrong (centre of gravity behind the rear wheels, ram fouls on the batteries, that kind of thing) which I wouldnt be able to tell by placing all the components on a suitable bit of gardboard/MDF. The lay it all out principle only really works if what youre building is flattish, and Id prefer not to restrict myself.

Just wondering what benefits can be got from extending my repertoire!

--
    Fluppet

We need to start charging you web space on this forum Andrew

Mr Stu

Register To Comment