Register To Comment
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FBS braking + link system????

Yer well thats fair enough,
    The most possible way i can think would be to havee a long stick pertruding from underneath the FBS and pull that out, but its VERY likley to be knoked out, or cut off by another disc!
    What do you think about that?
    Grant

I would have to dissagree there andrew.

first of all, i would definatly (and im sure everyone else does)prefer my machine to get damaged to an out of control machine than me trying to remove the link from an out of control machine.

As to it being extremly expencive if the arena got damaged during the battrey dieing session. So What? as long as it contains the machine so its not a risk to people then im happy. i would much prefer to have a bill for £500 to repair the arena than a lawsuit against me from the person sueing me for injuery.

Dont forget, you can go home and fix your robot or arena no matter how damaged they get. you cant bring someone back to life.

I think its completely down to the event organiser. and being an event organiser myself i know its scary to say lol. but at the end of the day its the Event organiser that says if a specific robot is safe in a specific arena. If they asses all the possible risks and still belive they can contain it in a worst case senario (eg. robot going mad situation) then they are to blame if the robot escapes,hurts somebody during a battle etc...

Thats very true, but also risky to say.
    If i took my FBS to an event and they said yes of course we can hold it, without firstly checking how powerfull my robot is, then it causes some damage, then i would blame the event organiser for tellin me its capable of running rather than testing my robot firstly!
    But as it goes, the Rc Wars arena is hopefully going to be a class 1 featherweight arena, and so SHOULD hold anything.
    cant wait till its done.
    Grant

just reading over this thread its quite interesting to see what peoples views are.

Grant your last comment sounds exactly like what happened at series 7 with us when we smashed the arena.

Also The most possible way i can think would be to have a long stick pertruding from underneath the FBS and pull that out.

Well we dont quite have a stick poking out the bottom, we just have it out the top! The link was our first major problem and we did what we thought was best to solve it and i think that most people would agree its one of the best places to put it. It also has the added bonus that if the disc gets unbalanced, the oscilation can pull it free, however it takes a hell of alot to do this but it was done in testing.........no trying to take our link out ideas andrew!

It is entirely up to the event organiser as to whether or not they let a robot run. If they are satisfied it meets their requirements and they are happy with it then its their decision to let it run.

And grant about the bearings, they wouldnt be suitable for a 6kg robot, far far too heavy. The two needed would take up 1kg which i dont think would be very good in a effective FBS

ok, Thanks anyway Gary.
    I have found two sizes of bearings now that maybe or maybe not suitable. I will finish building my robot and then change all my xle to a much larger one with a centre link but i would rather just get it working so i know im not wasting my time on it lol.
    How exactly does your link work Gary?
    Thanks Grant

well our current links are very low resistance and are able to carry very large currents, a few stats-

feather - 100amp
    light - 200amp
    middle - 500amp
    heavy - 1000amp (very cool!)

however originally we made our own. At the bottom of the shaft there were two half circle cresent moon shapes of copper which were separated by a few mm. On the bottom of the removable part of the link there was a large round disc of copper which connected the two at the bottom. This screwed threw a thread in the centre of the half circles. This was very simple yet effective and we were actually congratualated by the robot wars crew the first time we entered.

Ok thanks, i have come up with a new, very siple way.
    I dont know how i could have missed it, and theres no need for a removable flag, it is solidly in, with a removable link at the top.
    Instead of the axle down the centre of the bearing spinning, the outer casing for the bearings spin, and so there is able to have a longe, solid axle straight through the centre of the robot with no problems (hopefully anyway)
    Will this be ok?
    Grant

it could work however ensure that the shaft is supported as much as it possibly can be

...as it were, Gary.

James: Dont get me wrong - Im not advocating people charging into the arena as soon as their robot starts to go mad. Im just suggesting that there may be circumstances where the robot could be pinned fairly safely (by a house robot, etc.) for at least a brief period (before stalled motors start to burn, house robot batteries die, etc.) but where trying to keep the robot wedged there until its power runs out - assuming one can tell when that is the case - poses some form of hazard which outweighs that of pulling the link.

Perhaps more frequently (and with a less obscure scenario), an out of control robot may appear to have run down, but instead have done a Supernova and merely have a loose power connection. Give it a tug on the link, and it starts moving again. Obviously youve done this from outside the arena, so your ankles are relatively safe, but what about your fingers? If the robot drives off while youre holding the link, chances are your fingertips might sting a bit as the link is tugged out of your hand, but youll feel it going and let go - robots accelerate fast, but not *that* fast. A full body spinner with a mobile link could pull the link away quickly enough to take your fingers with it, then hit your hand with a tooth as it followed through.

I speak, of course, from a completely inexperienced viewpoint, but from a paranoid and cowardly one. I wouldnt be happy with the idea - I could see it going wrong. Mind you, I was always a bit nervous about the idea of sticking an arm through the railings where it could get pinned, too.

Im just trying to think of what can go wrong, and try to avoid it. If it never happens, so much the better.

--
    Fluppet

Register To Comment