Register To Comment
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting started, what do I need?

team_ireland
    RC model cars in teh UK Run on 27mhz or 40mhz. If its 40mhz then yes its fine to use for Combat robots if not then it is not allowed.

I would strongly advise against plywood. It is simply not strong enough these days you would need something like 10mm polycarbonate to survive against spinners.

Drive. Those wipermotors to me would seem fine but you will need large wheels to get any sort of a decent speed with them. Another cheep option is drill motors.

Speed controlers. The 30amp electrolises sold by technobots seem fine. If you can get the ones with external relays as they are much better.

Batteries: That comes down to two things cheep and heavy or more expensive and light. If you want cheep you will need about a 5amp sla for to drive drills or ww motors. If you want to go slightly more expensive you can get 3amp Ni-mhs from technobots for around 40pounds and these will do nicely.

I hope this helps.

Regards
    Ian

4. Greetings Graham,
    Welcome to the FRA forum. The bot you refered to at Debenham was ours, Scorpion Jr.
    If I may offer a little advice. First, before you pick up any tools, think carefully about what you can realisticly hope to produce given your abilities, the facilities and materials you have available.
    If you have an intrest in building a spinner, be VERY careful, and be certain that what you propose to build is safe. It is not just a case of spinning a big mass, you need to understand the forces involved and be sure that what you are supporting that spinning mass on is strong enough. For example our disc only weighs very slightly under 2Kg but it is suported on a 20mm dia. solid stainless steel axel suported by heavy duty flange bearings mounted in a frame made of 6082 T6 grade aluminium. If you think that is a bit OTT for a feather, consider the energy required to cut that spike clean off PLF and launch it across the arena with enough force to damage the makrolon screen. In doing that, our machine was subject to an equal force, so you need something strong enough to absorb that kind of energy no just once but time and time again. If you get it wrong and your design comes appart in the arena the only thing that gets hurt is your pride. but if it comes apart in your garden shed when you are testing it....!!! Even an average featherweight spinner is more than capeable of inflicting a very serious or at worst a fatal injury.
    Im not trying to put you off building a spinner but please think about what is involved. you may do far better by buliding a simple push bot first off, bring it to a couple of live events enter in a friendy whiteboard fight or two and see how you like it. But if a spinner is still the way you really want to go, remember that if there is ANYTHING that you are not sure of just come to the forum and ask the question, there is a vast amount of know-how out there in the roboteering comunity and we are always willing to share it.

Good luck and safe roboteering,
    Geoff,
    Team Scorpion.

5. Hi Graham,

Tho Im not in an objective position to say so, FeatherWeights.org is great :-)

Geoff has put it very well- you can never underestimate the forces involved with spinners, and you must engineer accordingly. A very ridget, low friction set up is equally as important as the wepon motor you have powering the thing.

As with all things, it a balance- bigger discs can store more energy but take longer to spin up, smaller/lighter discs contain less energy (at a given speed) but consequently take a shorter time to spin up. It is tempting to go for the big disc/lower spin up time option, but I would advise against it- any driver worth his salt whose drawn against a spinner knows the age old tactic is to get up close and stay on the spinner so it doesnt have the oppoertunity to spin up. Hand in hand with this goes the choice for the weapon motor. Its not entirely correct to say that a bigger motor means a more powerful spinner- the actual explanation involves a bit more physics:

A flywheel (a spinner) is a rotating mass storing energy. On impact it releases that energy into its opponent. The motor puts energy into it by spinning it up- its energy comes from the motor. Motor power is measured in Watts- and a watt is a joule per second. So the higher the power, the faster the motor can put energy into the disc. In essence, bigger motors mean faster spin up times. And, as mentioned, the faster you can spin up, the better your postion in the arena. Well aligned, true and ridgid set ups reduce friction and allow smoother operation- all important in getting the most from your disc. In short its not a question of putting the largest disc in that you can- its got to be a more well considered trade off between opposing factors!

If after all that youre still commited, congratulations, you are ready to build a robot! As geoff said, this forum is a great resource, and if you are at all in any doubt about anything, please come and ask us- well all be more than happy to answer your questions.

All the best,

Eddy
    http://www.featherweights.org>

Hi mate,
    I found it easiest to start off just making a nice working drive system, and forget the weapon for the moment that can be added later on.
    I found trying to make a whole robot first gave me too many problems to dort out, whearas just a good driving robot at first let me do things step by step and so i could work out what went wrong and why withought getting muddled up and confused.
    This is how i found it easiest, but its upto you at the end of the day, and whether you are already familiar with the workings of robots.

Good luck with it and keep intouch with how its getting on!
    Grant

8. 3Ah may be a little OTT for a single fight, but if you can afford the price and weight then go for it. It helps greatly at live events unless you have a few sets of batteries because after every battle with 2Ah your batteries will be dead, this was my downfall and now im currently running 3.3Ah Ni-Hms, put them back on charge after every fight and i can get through an event without the need to change them.
    Drill motors will be better if you can, and yes plywood is good, take a look at Bernard, they just cover their Plywood in other materials.
    Grant

team_ireland
    I mean 3amp Ni-mh i agree 3amp ni-cd is ott but the 3amp Ni-mh are the lowest capacity that will take the kind of current draw we need.

Regards
    Ian

Register To Comment