Register To Comment
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hobbyweights anyone?

team_ireland
    I know this is the featherweight part of the forum but this seemed the most appropriate place to post this.

I was surfing around some american websites when I came accross hobbyweights. The basically have all the same american rules with the weight limit being set at 12pounds. I liked the look of that so I decided to give it a try. I looked around a few websites and saw that people were using drill motors for drive and around 2000mah batteries. I liked the look of that and I also had a lot of spare parts around so currently I am building one.

The biggest problem I have is the weight. 12pounds is 5.443108kg. Now I cannot decide what weight limit we should use over here. First I thought 5.5kg but then I thought well thats slightly over the limit so maybe 5kg. The after some Instant messanger conversations with a few people (you know who you are) the surgestion of 6kg was made. Personally I dont mind. I reckon I could build a robot to any of those weight limits but the reasons for 6kg are at present the best. Its Half a Featherweight!

What are peoples opinions of this? I am currently recomending that we use the FRA rules (including a power light) and Perhaps a 6kg limit. I will hopefully finnish the hobby weight very soon as I have nothing to do until my polycarb arrives for the Featherweight.

Would anyone else be intrested in building a Hobbyweight?

Please post your opinions here

Regards
    Ian

3. A few Hobbyweights use cordless screwdrivers over volted to 12v with good results.

If you dont think that the hobbyweights will draw the crowds, go to: http://www.teamcosmos.comwww.teamcosmos.com and look at Xenophobia. Xenophobia is a very sweet machine and packs quite a punch.

Not another weight class. Deary me.
    Na well - if a couple of you build them, then you can team up and form a Feather Weight cluster bot and fight the feather weights also. hehe.
    One thing that jumped out at me -
    Now I cannot decide what weight limit we should use over here - not for you to decide Ian.

Good luck, never know, i may build one in the summer if these kick off.

Mr Stu

Id rather have a kilobot (1kg) class than hobbyweight really... beacuse at 6kg you cant scavenge most of the parts from an RC car...

dont the americans have a 1kg weight class aswell? I believe its called the bug or beetle class. Although we have to watch that we dont create too many weight classes as this would lead to the FRA and roboteering community becoming overstretched.

I would like to see more attention given to lightweights and middleweights though because there is a big gap between heavies and feathers, both of which are good but I think it would be good to try and encourage competition in these other current weight categories.

Rc Wars have been running a 6kg class for 4 years. But there are things in the pipline at the moment so i would surgest not to commence building just yet as there maybe an official 5kg weight class if things go well

Register To Comment