Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unlimited Rotational Kinetic Energy Storage?

I see no limitation on the amount of rotational kinetic energy that can be stored in a flywheel that is not used as a weapon in the FRA rules.

Anyone care to comment on this?

Thanks!
    Mack

Well, my comment is: Test it to destruction in a nice, safe, deep hole in the ground.

whilst there is no limit, you need a dam well balanced disc to spin at high speeds, jst remember that! and make sure that anything supporting it is as strong as u can possibly make it

I see several rules regarding spinning weapons, but nothing other than two fail-safe rules for rotational kinetic energy storage devices (flywheels). I like to demonstrate my point by going to ends of the spectrum, so in this case, consider a flywheel running at 100000rad/s with 1GJ of kinetic energy that has a failsafe that causes it to spin down within 60 seconds to meet the safety rule; is that safe?!

My guess is that there is or *should be* some additional rules governing flywheels. If there is, I want to know what they are. If there arent, then I urge the safety folks to consider adding some.

Mario - Id be more likely to consider existing ball bearings rather than frictionless magnetic/vacuum-packed bearings; theyre alot cheaper! I think that the energy losses in conventional bearings would be tolerable. As for the problem with gyroscopic effects in spinning disks, there shouldnt be any problem with a horizontal disk (here, I mean a vertical disc axis). The problems arise when you have a horizontal disc axis/shaft but vertical disc (maybe thats what you were talking about). Id mount my flywheel with a vertical shaft. I have to disagree with your first liferule - I *want* my bot to beat the other bot, but I *dont want* my opponent to beat me :-). However, I have to agree that I dont want them to dessimate my bot.

Geoff - Thanks for the welcome! I have no specific design in mind yet, only possibilities. Im just trying to find out which of my ideas are good *and* legal.

Do any of you guys know of any bots-of-the-past that used flywheels to power their weapons (not spinners where the flywheel *is* the weapon)? If so, how did they do?

Regards,
    Mack

Theres always Tip-Top (dont have the URL though).

Tip Top has a spinning disc, but its a weapon. Im talking about a bot that uses rotational kinetic energy to power a *different* weapon. Know of any like that?

Thanks,
    Mack

Yes, but that weapon also powers the robot itself.

Register To Comment