Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starter moter

i am lookin at using a carstarter moter for my bot because i have a low budgit and can get one at a scrap yard for a couple of bucks i was wondering if they can go in reverse if the curent is reversed i know that i have to cut the field winding coil wires and conect them directly to a battery and take out the selanoid but if i reverse the curent after that will the motor reverse or is there some kind of mecanical catch to stop it from reversing
    and dose the selanoid move the gear on the motor or the whole insides of the motor and the shaft that comes out how long do they last do they burn out after a certan amout of time or do they last a while can you give me rough specs of a starter motor like hp torke and rpm

I only have seven words for you!

http://homepages.which.net/~paul.hills/index.html

Starter Motor 4kG, battereis to run it for 5 min 2kG, over half the weight gone, doesnt leave much left for anything else.

When we got the Litton Motors they were £35 each. Pitty the CIM2s are more but they are better built. Starter Motors can work but are very unreliable and this is probably why hardly any are used. To use them you really need a current limit.

In all fairness, i do not recommend starter moters in a robot, not for drive at least. Not because they are unreliable because the ones ive used in 2 robots were very reliable and powerfull, but simply because there too hungry for amps, and speedcontrol is virtually out of the question.

We had a 40Ah SLA battery on board, 2 startermotors for drive, and we could barely make it last the 5 mins in a fight. We had heaps of power though, and loads of torque.

--
    Leo

thanks for all the help so they draw a heap of power you said like how many amps and i still didnt ancer my question about reverse or if the selanoid moves the gear or he whole shaft of the motor thans for the help how fast do you think it would go on 20 amps

mine drew well over 180 amps during acceleration, and about 100 during driving.

Register To Comment