Register To Comment
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Encouraging International Competition / Harmonizing Rules

Tricky subject there Eddy. Like Alan said above, alot of people have spent alot of time and money getting their robots down to 12kg. Also it is widly known a Feather Weight is 12kg, and has been since RW UK first started. I know which side of the fence i will be on if that disscussion takes place.

Ian those switches WERE allowd in RW, un till about Series 5 i think it was - they banned them as there were many times in the area where a switch broke and could not turn the robot off to be taken to the pits safely. Removable Links all the way. Dont like it, build a link which does not fail or fall out - many teams have done this, see no reason why not everyone else can.

Mr Stu
    FeatherWeights.org Crew

I have received several emails on the subject, and there seems to be a fialrly common concensus.

Re: radio swapping- this seems to have gone down quite well- quite a neat solution. It could also work two ways should we cross the pond. Im going to look into getting a radio with a frequency module so that I can be US-proof.

Links- a no budge zone it would seem- The piece of mind and safety advantage offered by a link is far superior to a switch. I dont think theres much room for manouver on this one.

Weight Limit- it is a lot easier to make a 12kg robot 13.36kg (30lb), than a 13.36kg robot 12kg. In the immediate future, should we have feather events with a substantial no. of US feathers, I think we should have a 30lb weight limit- I think geoff put it best: It would mean adding 1.36Kg to a 12Kg machine (not hard to do)!

In the long term, if events start becoming more international, then I would propose we increase the weight limit, or at least meat somewhere in the middle. The arguements Im beginning to hear for keeping the 12kg weight limit are identical to the ones wheeled out when the heavy weight limit went up to 100kg from 80kg- and that has been a definate success, despite everyone saying it would bring about the end of the sport. Of course Im thinking far off here- were no way near this stage yet, but increasing ties with other countries is no doubt a good thing in my opinion- Belgium and Holland are testiment to this- the standard of the dutch robots is terrifying! A standard set of rules for the world would be a good thing I think. That leaves the option open of traveling to events all over the world- imagine if you were going on holiday to america, and you found out that there was a motorama or nerc or bot bash by the sea or what have you only 20 minutes away to be held whilst youre there- I know I certainly wouldnt
    be able to resist the temptation to pack the featherweight!

LOL!!!!
    Well the post about the FRA Word Championship states the FRA rules will be in use. After talkng to a few people, the rules will not be changed. Power lights are needed (not hard) a removable link is needed, there safer, and weight classes stay the same.

Mr Stu

why not go half way and call it 800g?

team_ireland
    Well the only thing with the 1.6kg is for pushers it would give more traction so for all the english pushers i would surgest get 1.6kg of led and strap it in there.

Regards
    Ian

Register To Comment