Register To Comment
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tool box

Andrew,

Most modern further education colleges (at least those where they do GNVQs and stuff) will do practical courses like welding and plumbing and what have you. Whether theyll be short courses or full two year jobs (thatd be fun - maybe nexy year) I dont know.

My own course is an Introduction to welding 20 hours over 10 weeks course at a local agricultural college. If you have one of these local then it might be another good bet. Its given me the chance to use gas, stick, MIG and TIG welding, as well as brazing, and its got all the machine tools you could ever feel like shaking a stick (electrode?) at. I just wish I wasnt on my final week next week.

As to the size of lathes - Chronos (several links above) stock a small benchtop lathe with a distance between centres (workpiece length) of about 30cm - fine for pulleys and single wheel axles etc. I think its called the unimat and it would be significantly better than nothing. It also has a milling head that you can attach to increase the versatility.

Id love a Myford Super 7 but its (a) HUGE by my standards (I only have a small shed) and (b) HEAVY and (c) WAY too expensive for me - even for a bashed second hand jobby. Machine mart do brand new engineers lathes for about £600. Might be worth a look if you have the money to spend.

Oh and when you buy the welder - dont buy one of those shields that auto-darkens when you strike the arc UNLESS its a decent one (probably £100+ - they use ESAB at the college - about £150) - advice straight from the welding tutor. Youre risking your eyes otherwise. I use a hand held shield (permanently dark) for both arc and MIG and thats safer than a cheapo auto helmet.

-- Kev

buying cheap lathes isnt a good idea. The lathe might be £600, but you will still need to buy eveything else for it which can be expensive (a chuck for the clarke one is about £100).

We bought a 2nd lathe last spring, i think its was about £200, but we got everything we could ever need with it. Myfords, although popular, arent the best, and can be very expensive. Keep a look out in your local paper and Ad Mag for 2nd hand lathes/mills/welders.

Register To Comment