Register To Comment
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Using gold motors

2. Wooo,
    First problem you had was probably running 12v drills on 24v....that€™s why they were unreliable. Don€™t make the same mistake with your gold€™s. The most you would want to over volt a 12v gold to is 14.4v. As ploughbot runs his 12v motor on 24v in his lifter and after about 4 lifts its red hot. If you must use 24v go for the 24v version of the gold motor....However remember you may need some serious size battery€™s as these motors are known as being un-reliable, good luck!

Regards
    Dave moulds
    Team Turbine/PLF

ive used golds for just under a year, i have done very well. I have burnt two sets out, this is due to me thrashing them (if there not running full speed then there stalled!) You can get 20mph out of them, but will increase acceleration time. I run 24vs at 24volts, with 15amp CPU electronize controllers with 24v 3Ah NiCads.

The motors are well built, and are very powerful. The only problem is with heat, as the are totaly sealed, they get hot very quickly. Im drilling air holes in the next pair (Unless i move onto bigger motors).

team_ireland
    Would 5:1 gear reduction on golds be any good?

Also does anyone know what gear reduction Paul Cooper Uses on Tkm2?

Regards
    Ian Mc Donald

6. team_ireland
    Does any one know what gears would be best?

I have thought about Mod 1s but they seem to have a 6mm bore for the 8mm shaft of a gold. Any Surgestions?

Regards
    Ian Mc

Kittys used the Gold motors since - hmm well Gold motors came out - Kitty was the first to use em, and has not burnt a set out, damaged a set or anything.
    24v gold Motors running on 14.4v - decent speed with 8:1 reduction and 150mm diamter wheels. 2 Stage reduction is the key to why things work decently. They dont event get warm on 14.4v and with decent bearings, higher voltages welcome
    Oh we have holes drilling in Kittys gold motors, not to keep em cool (but it must be helping) but to lose weight, hehe we lost about 300g from drilling holes in them.

Mod 1 seem a decent gear size to use. have a 6mm bore? for a 8mm shaft of the gold - hmmm drill it out bigger?

Mr Stu

9. i use mod1s in alpha, not due to the power, but it means they can wiggle more, hence less accuracy needed, good job with me! I have machined abit off the gears but not much as weight isnt much of a problem

Register To Comment