Register To Comment
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A review of a weird annihilator. Woot anyway.

Gary Simmons, Ive just read all the posts under this topic for the fifth time, but I still cant understand why I should appoligize to you?

I never said that you had made up the part about the missing chain, that was someone else. The only thing I said was that you shouldnt have accused Gary of lying about it.

In response to Christian: I did use the word apparently about Gary Ss chain spotting. ( :-) ) I meant that only in the sense that Id not spotted it myself and hadnt yet seen it, and nobody had confirmed it. If Im the source of his dissent, then he has my apologies if he feels I was disputing him. I take nothing as read from anyone who only saw TV footage until confirmed by a roboteer, so he shouldnt feel disparaged by my comments.

Ed: Oh dear, here we go again. :-) Id heard the judges say that their was no surface damage, but Id presumed it was a precursor to an internal inspection; guess I overestimated their competence after all!

Everything else seems to follow my impressions from the footage - which presumably means that, for once, the footage wasnt edited to pieces.

Garys said that he was aware of the chain after hed inspected the robot (after, presumably, getting the prize) - Ed, could this have been the source of confusion? Im sure things are very confusing at such an event, and the competitors will each have a slightly biased view just as a result of looking at the fight with the hope of a particular robot winning - although you have the best knowledge of what happened, youre in the worst possible position to be objective about it. Not that it makes a difference to the result, but Id hate this to be the start of ill feeling between the teams.

As for how the judges reached their decision - well, nothing would surprise me after all these years. The most astonishing thing to me about the episode was that JP noticed the drive chain had come off XTs weapon within a minute of it happening (although that didnt seem to be the only problem).

Anyway, I say again that Im sorry Garys win is tempered by such ill feeling, and Im sorry for Ed that - especially since his report confirms my original impression - he was robbed (by the director and the judges, not by Gary). I commend them both for handling the situation so well.

And as Ed says, roll on the World Championships!

--
    Fluppet

Gary Ss final apologies Christian means I am apologising. Its a bit of English idiom which can be all too easily misread as apologise if one is unaware of it.

I dont know how this phrase came to be, but I assume it is a contraction of various phrases along the lines of I offer my humble apologies.

Thanks for setting that straight, Richard. But as English isnt my native language, Im destined to make mistakes.

However, Im man enough to admit that I was wrong! So I apologise to Gary (at least for my two last posts).

o god, i dont know whats worse, disagreements or bad jokes!

Register To Comment