Register To Comment
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Likely No Flippers in Grand Final

James:

Ill explain my logic, with the proviso that the disadvantages I can see may still be outweighed by the advantages.

The problem with having an inverted wedge at the back and combining that with the design aim of having the rear wheels on the ground when the front ones are raised is that it requires the wheels to be quite near the angle of the bottom of the inverted wedge.

A wedge needs to be able to deflect spinners and the like safely above the robot (sort of). Having the wheels near enough to the angle of the inverted wedge to allow for the raised front business to work would mean that they would be dangerously exposed at the top of the (right side up) wedge. Weapons would slide up the wedge right into the wheels. Also the wheels would serve to push the opposition back off the wedge again.

The less youre worried about having grip when the front of the robot is raised, the less exposed the wheels need to be and so the less this is a problem, but since the tail shape is a deliberate feature of Tornado its clearly something theyd like to preserve.

Ed: Oh, I didnt doubt its solidity, I was just curious (and mistaken) about the shape. Given how thick the armour is, does the frame actually do anything? :-)

Ive always felt that, although horsepower is very handy for ramming things and sticky wheels are nice, by far the most significant factor in who can push whom around is which robot gets underneath the other (see the final of the second World Championships). Wedges wedges everywhere. One reason I think the way to introduce the biggest shakeup in robot combat would be to introduce a non-planar arena.

--
    Fluppet

About this double wedge stuff.
    Does anyone remember spawn of scutter from series 4, and the wedge they had?It mobved but didnt use anything mechanical to do so.

Yes, I remember that one! It was a simple hinged wedge, almost like a skirt.

Hang on.

Using the simple fact that their is 7 flippers (call Storm 2 a flipper as it has that lifter) at least 1 flipper will make it into the grand final.

That flipper will either be
    Firestorm 5/Mute/Storm 2/Grim Reaper

Storm 2s lifter is a questionable item.

*changes wording of last post to say*

A robot with a lifting weapon will get though etc

I call Storm 2 an electric well engineered arm (although Gyrobot is more enginnered in my view).

Register To Comment