Register To Comment
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiever ytoow

no no its fine andrew, it is with the mweight that the driving is a bit hap hazard. As we have 4 wheels in the heavy they have to actually skid and so the engine cant provide enough torque to spin the chassis.

blade speed? roughly 50m/s at top however in reality probably around 30m/s, with 50kg of disc behind it and most of that is around the main outer ring.

i will admit it does help sometimes to have your weapon covering the whole body however it does mean i have to stay well away from arena sides and any other objects apart from our opponents (i think a hit to Mr P would do us more damage). So really you have to weigh up the pros and cons, do you want to be able to drive into your opponents at any angle? But do you want to be able to safely run into anything apart from them?

working out roughly where your going to bounce to is a nightmare aswell, hense the slight hesitation during our battles before hitting an opponent.

the pit is probably the best way to get rid of us if were spinning (i really shouldnt be saying this!) but thats if our opponents can get us into that position and also if they can with stand a hit.

Actually Id say that Storm and (to a lesser extent) Tornado (with scoop^H^H^H^H^H flail) have the best chance - theyre most likely to stand up to a hit, most likely to reach Typhoon before it reaches full speed, most able to pin them against the wall to stop them spinning, and most likely to stick to the floor well enough to make Typhoon do most of the flying around. A blade glancing off a really solid wedge will put a lot of lifting force on Typhoons shell - flying robot (although an OOTA with Typhoon at full speed might not be a good thing to sit near). Incidentally, pinging Typhoon off a wall would probably do a good job of slowing them a bit, so I think the drive-at-them-till-they-stop approach Tornado used on Hypno is still a good idea.

Mind you, most likely to stand up to a hit isnt necessarily the same as will stand up to a hit. Typhoons looked very impressive, and I look forward to seeing what happens!

Since Im not likely to be building to counter a spinner unless the newly-acquired arena really becomes standard at FRA events, one for people to muse over: a pusher with a (lightweight) 480rpm outer spinning ring of 1.2m diameter could roll against the outside of Typhoon (at 30m/s) without serious damage (except to paintwork, from the blades), and feed it to the house robots or pit at its leisure. The difficulty being in matching the speed and not getting damaged when Typhoon pings off something of course. Particularly effective against FBSs because you dont have a stationary bit of the robot to avoid hitting; no use against bar spinners (Fluffy, Hazard, etc.) of course. I look forward to seeing one. :-) I was trying to work out whether a round-ish robot could spin fast enough, but I suspect building to survive 8 revs/second would compromise the design - Ed, can Storm spin that fast (not that its round, or large, enough)?

Another day, another nutty idea. (Thanks for the info, Gary - at least I know what Im up against!) Wheres a low profile Recyclops-style flipper when you need one. :-)

--
    Fluppet

even if the dome goes, we could still keep going (with typhoon 2 anyways)

Register To Comment