Register To Comment
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Featherweight Discs

2. Its Ed... think of your own ending to this sentance :P

regards
    Dave moulds
    Team Turbine

4. Well!
    I have Just read through this thread and all I can say is we are all in the seriously deep poo if Ed gets this LEM powered spinner of his up and running.
    I speak from 1st hand experience of building LEM powered spinners for heavyweights and that LEM130 is one SERIOUS motor! We use one to drive the disc on our heavy and it is a killer, (If you need evidence, ask Stu, He has seen it used in anger!) Now, if you put that sort of power into a feather the only problem I see is how the hell are you going to hold it down. If we assume that the motor weighs around 3.25Kg add say 3Kg for a disc plus 24V worth of battries, 1.3Kg in NmHI or 2Kg for Ni-Cad, then you need a drive system of some discription, maybe another 2Kg Thats around 9.5Kg, leaving 2.5Kg for a chassis capable of holding the impact from the disc and some armour (that last bit is hard enough in a heavy, let alone a feather!) Good luck Ed, I would love to see it!
    Ewan, yes its possable to build a feather with a powerful, nimble and quick drive train plus a very respectable 4500 RPM 2.5 Kg vertical disc, we have! Mind you, to get it to drive anywhere near as good as we wanted took 4 years of heavyweight building experence and a top of the line programable Vantec speed controller! (Sorry, that makes an H5 look like a toy!) Even then we still have problems sometimes making tight turns with the disc at full chat due to the giroscopic effect. The whole machine can tip over at about 45 degrees before slowly comming back down! (you canna change the laws of physics Jim!!) The point Im to make here is that spinners be they heavy or feather weight are not as easy to get right as some people think, even a featherweight one can be leathal and I do mean LEATHAL if not properly built. I Have been in a workshop with a heavyweight robot when a blade weighing only about 1/2KG parted company with a disc spinning at 5000 RPM Fortunatly it landed inside the robot but the damage was horrendus and I was scared s**tless! So, to all you guys out there, keep building those spinners but PLEASE, PLEASE be careful and if in any doubt get it checked by someone who knows what they are looking at!

I wish everyone a very Happy New Year and productive but above all SAFE roboteering,
    Geoff,
    Team Scorpion.

im not scared..... ill fight anything !!!!!! you know me

My 160kw Truck motor powered at 8 million volts new feather will take anything on, yes its 12kg aswell.
    And runs upside down, and is made of plactic, and also is painted pink.

CCCOOOMMMMMEEEE OOOONNNNN !

jonno

Register To Comment