Register To Comment
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Featherweight Discs

I have no reason to believe that you cannot fit two powerful drive motors, and a good weapon into a featherweight. I do agree that a reasonably powerful disc (vertical) on a bot moving at 20mph can be a bit scary, but there is no reason why this cannot be controlled well, my H5 controllers are excellent.
    Cheers, Ewan

I would be slightly worries about the H5s, or the motors holding up. I know H5s are very conservatively rated at 10A, but still, using frill motors to go 20 mph whils only drawing 10A would suggest that maybe theyre not as powerful as they could be, and you may find they get rather hot and upset if youre pushing them to the limits as it would seem. I think 15mph max is enough, certainly in the current batch of featherweight arenas, which arnt particularly large (tho were working on rectifying that for FWS2004 :-) Especially with rambots, such as the one Im building, I dont intend to use much more than 25-50% power/speed most of the time, so that the whole thing is jch more controllable and easier to drive and aim at opponents, and then open up the throttle in a storm-esque way once the opponent is on the front. Im working on a featherweight version of the robotec at the moment so that I can program in my own power curves to give me loads of low end control, and then really just a bit of high end welly. As for the hardox feathers, my 4mm hardox is being water-jet cut this week, and im still worried it wont be up to the job of handling Eds new Lem powered feather spinner.

Just to re-iterate whats happened to feathers in the last year, its incredible thinking about it. The weight class has ballooned into a class capable of putting on an excellent show for the public. Weve had the introduction of FeatherWeights.org (plug plug), the 2 excellent inspire events, and of course with the benfit of the heavyweight learning curve, the feathers have come from something like series 2 technology to series 7 in only about 10 months. Its exciting to think what 2004 will bring.

On a more random note, if anyone has yet to get their machines on our featherweight database, and would like to, then please do- its an excellent place for new comers to gain information, inspiration, and for you to gain traffic to your site if you have one :-)

Also, were very nearly full up for FWS2004 9thanks for the great response) so if you havnt yet signed up, please try and do so as soon as possible to avoid dissapointment:-)

Regards,
    Eddy
    FeatherWeights.org

3. (note that the H5 can handle around 20 amps continuous, the 10 amps is a minimum rating. And yes I would not be using 20mph all the time, but speed can come as an advantage. anyway back to the point...)
    Eds building a bloody f*cking, ass kicking Lem powered spinner. Oh my GOD!!! *quickly phones the hardox store for 11.99kg of the stuff...*
    If Ed can put enough power into a Lem at the weight of a featherweight that I will truely praise him as one (if not the) best roboteer of them all. (then again he might be using it at 12v...)

5. a) the motors run at 1100rpm when overvolted on 150mm wheels, this= 19.3mph or so, near enough to 20mph.
    b) I simply said ed is the best roboteer ever on one condition, and that is that he can put a lem in a feather at 24v or over and still provide the power, dont think he can though
    c) I think I may have to work on disc speed, the speed Im aiming for is above 3000rpm, but that means I need a BIG motor for enough torque.
    Cheers, Ewan

no dis-respect to ed, put ed manages to create these high power robots (vortex, storm 2 etc) by having the money to pay for it. Why bodge when you can have to profesionally made? Most of us dont have the money, therefore have to bodge!

As far as i know the LEM spinner is just a rumour, I cant see it possible. How do you get a 3Kg motor, strong enough supports, batteries that can last a fight, and supply the current required and then have someway of controling it; all into 12kg? I personally dont see it possible, but hey, prove me wrong!

Just to ask but will the 1500rpm rule come into play at all?
    Cheers, Ewan

Im looking forward to see a feather with a big disc motor inside rip itself apart. After a while im sure this rumored robot will do so if it hit an unmovable object on full power after a bolt or 2 were to shake loose......

regards
    Dave moulds
    Team Turbine

Register To Comment