Register To Comment
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Featherweight Discs

I€™m about to make myself a disc powered featherweight (for real this time ). Its going to be a complete new idea (I think).

It will weigh about 1-1.5 kg and have a 1:1 (1:2 max) reduction on a 24 v dewalt motor. It actually isnt a real disc; it€™s more of a ring-shape, supported on each side with 3 ball bearings with inner diameter of about 2 cm each.

This makes the bot quite efficient with its power (no loss because of the disc being just a ring) and strong supports (it will be supported on triangles).

Because of the low weight it wont be too powerful, but the speed of it makes up for that.

btw- the laws of physics say you cannot have a everlasting (forgotten the word, but I mean frictionless) so you WILL have a loss of power, no matter how much you attemp to reduce friction and drag.

Also 1:1 ratio on a 20cm (you told me on MSN I think) would give you potential tops of 18,000 rpm but you will never be able to get that fast with a disc that size at 1:1 ratio. And how are you going to get the ring going 1:1 ratio, when the ring (should) act as a gear reduction.

Please enlighten us on this one nils

As I can remember, the 200 mm figure was meant for the disc in his last design.

Nils, you may also want to know that Ewan have a motor from a 24V DeWalt for sale.

ah... his last design...

The 1:1 is a bit exagurated, i agree, ill rather go for 1:3, anyway, the reduction will be as high or as low as needed.

Ewans right, im going for the 200 mm. Anyway ewan, im not going for frictionless drivetrain, just for the most efficient as i can.

The spinner is mostly based around being as fast as possible and have a very low spin up time. Hence the rather low weight of the ring.

A bit like this one?

http://electricscootin.brinkster.net/alum3wheeler1.jpghttp://electricscootin.brinkster.net/alum3wheeler1.jpg

the one problem i can see with a design like that is it wont be able to take a great deal of punishment from opponents

same idea, just better engineered. Ill use 3 bearings on each side to support the disc, each 22 mm inner diameter. the whole thing will be mounted on a hollow axle of about 50 mm dia. Should take care of most shocks.

Also, the supports will be triangle shape. (you cant really call the support on that wheel triangle shape)

Register To Comment