Register To Comment
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Batteries?

team_ireland
    Hi

I found something which might be of intrest to people. I have found a 6000mah (6amp) 12v Rechargable battery which weighs only 400g and can do 30amps. they are called Lithium Polymar batteries (li-po)

They have been around a long time now and I have used them in antweights but I was looking into them for my no money limit feather vapour bot. They are possibly affordable and usable in a featherweight but are possibly beyond most Normal peoples reach.

For this 6amp 12v Pack it would be 144pounds including delivery to anywhere in england.

You would also need a charger but they can be simply made by most people. (if your intrested please contact me for a circuit diagram)

What do people thing? I know the price is high but the weight is very low.

Regards
    Ian Mc Donald

cant supply enough current for alot of robots, alpha can pull over 50amps, the Nicads get very warm after a fight so i wouldnt like to run Li-Pos.

These batteries were going to be my first choice from my battery sponsor, but then I found the general stats-
    They are pathetic at giving any high currents, and when they do, they get VERY hot... The actual fluids etc are some of the most dangerous in any battery. The price is VERY HIGH. They take around 14 hours to charge a pack!
    Cheers, Ewan

team_ireland
    I think your slightly wrong there ed and ewan.

Ewan.
    It takes 1hour to chare li-pos from dead. The do not get very hot at high currents once you keep them under the rated currents youll be fine. The 1500mah batts are rated at 5c with a peek of 7C so if you try and draw 100amps out of them they will get hot. But if you try and draw anything up to 7.5amps youll be fine.

Ed.
    They can supply enough current for my pusher. It runs drills on 150mm diameter wheels and it does not even draw 30amps. So they could be used.

In general i dont think they are really suitable for featherweights at the moment. But considering 6months ago you could not get a Li-po that could do more than 1c discharge they are advancing rapidly.

By this time next year we might see cells as good as some ni-mhs who knows

regards
    Ian Mc Donald

Ive been saying that for ages Ed :P

team_ireland
    Well ed my total bot when stalled does not draw more than 30 amps on 150mm diameter wheels. This is not theory its fact!

Regards
    Ian Mc Donald

team_ireland
    Well i stalled both motors by driving them straight into a wall at top speed. The 20amp fuse blew but then I fitted a 30 and it did not blow when i did the same thing on fully charged batts.

If you dont wanna believe me then thats fine but its true.

regards
    Ian Mc Donald

Register To Comment