Register To Comment
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Batteries?

- if a single pack fell off a forklift - then boom. I cant see a Nicad Pack going boom if it fell of a follift truck. LOL. Unless it was poorly made and shorted it self. Bit ott ther Ewan.

Ive never seen how a Li-Poly will react to if it got cut by a spinner from another ant weight or something - so cant comment on how safe they are etc. Nicads and Ni-Mh are bad enough. I see soo many packs in the pits with their wires hanging lose etc- i just wanna faint. LOL. Ive witsnessed many Nicad fires, even had to control one at Inspire. Nasty things when they do what they want.

Id REALLY hate to see something like Storm 2s nicad packs short them selves out or something. I know it aint gona happen too soon with all that 6mm and 12mm ti, but imgaen someone else with lots of nicads like that - wouldnt want to get too close to that.

Ne ways some people would call us sad speaking on the net on new years eve - bye all, im going to a party, have a nice Night. Cya.

Mr Stu

I was talking about the Li-po packs going boom...
    Cheers, Ewan

I just know from expirence that you can never be to confident with Li-Po batts. (this IS a true story) One minute I was typing on my dads laptop, then the next, the battery port was smoking. It had fallen off my lap, and hit the floor, causing the contacts inside the battery to knock together. I quickly ran down stairs and got the fire-extinguiser from my workshop (in the cellar). By the time I got upstairs flames were visable but it was easily put out. If the flames had got a chance to get into the cells then it would have been a case of... Boom
    The short-circuit had put to much stress on the battery causing the fire. Cheers, Ewan

Li-po packs in laptops and cell-phones are fitted with internal failsafe measures against shorting out. Fact is, if that countermeasure doesnt work they will heat up like theres no tommorow, en eventually explode. It does take a while to reach that point, its not a firecracker or grenade, but it will happen.

at AWS a Lipo pack got damaged (by a crusher i think), there was alot of smoke.

If Li-Po packs do ever come to give out high enough currents, even for a heavyweight, Im personally going to stick to ni-mh and ni-cads.

Its just all I know, Im not a battery expert, according to every source I have heard from, Its just the stuff inside the cells (the acid or whatever it is) that makes it more dangerous than other cells. I do admit that I havent witnessed any ni-cad fires myself, so for all I know, they could be just as dangerous.
    Cheers, Ewan
    P.S. Are ni-mh batts likely to provide enough current when short circuited to create a fire?

Yeah, as are alkalines, SLAs, wet lead acid, lithium.....

Register To Comment