Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help

HI I am new to this robot stuff and Im looking for help with building my first robot. Since I have worked for a long time with things on Tracks I plan on building a tank like robot. With spinning weapons and numatic lances. I need help on deciding how big to make this and how heavy. Since I can not seem to find any size limitations anywhere on line I figured I would ask. The weight thing I think I found somewhere that said 220 pound or is that killograms? Anyway I need help. I am located in Pa in the USA . and if there is any one near by that could help me please e-mail me.

Just looked at the specs. Heaveyweights can be up to 220 pounds walkers 441 pounds . Why can walkers be heavier? Seems they should all be allowed the same thing or is it they feel more weight on the walkers the harder to beat them, I have seen a few walkers be taken out with the exposed hydralic lines being pinched or ripped off.
    I can not seem to find the size limitations I have been looking at the 2003 rules and regulation page I was sent. Where do I find the size limits?

the reason that walkers get a weight advantage is that the walking mechanism is alot heavier than a wheeled robots one

if i remember correctly robots had to fit within a 1m by 1.2m rectangle

From the Robotwars rules for series 7, but i dont think it changed over the years:

2.2 Dimensions

2.2.1 Overall dimensions must not exceed 2 metres x 1.2 metres.

By the way, if you do make your robot that big, your going to have lots of problems keeping the weight down or making a solid construction.

as far as the walker issue: the organisers of robotwars have a policy what is and what isnt a walker. if you make a walker with just a camshaft system, you will not be allowed the weight advantage.

As hes decided on tracks, thats not a biggy.

If you are considering entering Robot Wars, rather than Battlebots, you must keep to the metric weight limit of 100Kg for wheelers / 200Kg for walkers). I believe that Battlebots and spin-off events have limits of 220lbs / 440lbs. I believe Battlebots used to have a very, very generous size limit that prevented robots being too big to enter the arena, but I have no idea what the limit might be!

If you havent already found it, the BB tech forum at http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=BattleBot_Tech&nav=start&prettyurl =%2FBattleBot%5FTechhttp://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mai...v=start&pretty url=%2FBattleBot%5FTech deserves a visit.

So If I read this right 2m x 1.1 would be a safe overall measurement 78 x 43 , thats a lot larger than I was thinking of making my robot. and I have decided on Tracks Not wheels for the weapons I am designing. I am thinking of some shape that can be rolled over but still be functional. I have the sides worked out so it can be rolled onto its side but end right back up on top or bottom , that works with my small model I built out of clay , But the weapons would have to be positioned where the retract into the main body to allow for rolling over. This Im still working on,

What fun something else for the wife to yell at me for. I have been doing a lot of research on radio controls what do most of you use manufacturer and number of channels.

If you r interseted in seeing what I do for a living go to my home page http://www.goldingtparts.comhttp://www.goldingtparts.com
    Note the bus project.

Thanks for the help Ill be asking more questions all the time till I have this built and probably after. Some day I hope to meet you all in the RW arena.

Mark, unless you are planning to enter events in the UK, Id check out what the regs are with radio gear in the US, I think 75Mhz is a more used frequency over there, whilst we are stuck with 40Mhz

Register To Comment