Register To Comment
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule 6.3 The Link

Kim, Remember Qualifying. Typhoon got flipped over!!! If it can get flipped over then why can it not be pushed to the wall and flipped over!

I would not have expected someone of your expertise to have said that about one specific robot. We are all at risk. The only way you could be sure its less likely is if other teams were not allowed to flip it out in which case it should have been too dangerous for it to have run in the current arena in the first place.

Chris - flippertime, nice idea!

chris i wish we did!

Typhoon is not unique in being problematical. NO robot can have its safety link safely removed if it is spinning wildly, or madly flapping or running its weapon, whatever the design of machine. Ive seen Dantomkia jammed in a spin, and the only way to deal with it was to wait until the batteries had nearly died then pin it with another heavyweight.

For Robot Wars, the primary objective of the safety link would appear to be to guarantee safety during normal activation and deactivation. It has a secondary use during clear-up after a robot has been sent OOTA, dumped in the pit, wedged under the angle grinders or been severely damaged, which is to enable the tech crew to guarantee that an immobile robot is permanently and securely immobile, and allow them to quickly, efficiently and safely remove it within filming schedules. If the machine fails to immobilise, then it should not be approached and the safety link should not be used, regardless of the nuisance this causes filming. The safety link simply cant be treated the same as the emergency kill switches on industrial machinery.

The issue of whether the outer arena wall is capable of resisting damage caused by a flipped FBS is separate to the issue of link placement. If the FBS fails to penetrate the wall when flipped then the likelihood is that the outer body will be wedged and the inner body will spin. I really dont see an OOTA Typhoon running around over the camera tracks, madly battering against the outer wall in an attempt to attack the audience.

On the issue of arena strength: It is Mentorns duty to ensure that no robot goes into the arena that could conceivably leave it through the outer curtain, or could send another through the outer curtain. I suspect that the series 5 arena which was used for series 7 was only barely up to the job, and it is perhaps conceivable that the curtain could have failed to retain Typhoon. In my estimation it could have been flipped while spinning by a powerful, low wedge flipper such as Gravity. Extremely unlikely, but possible. Furthermore, as robot design progresses, the risks worsen.

Register To Comment