Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule 6.3 The Link

team_ireland
    Guys I have a problem!

I have three removable links in my robot. They are:
    1. Receiver
    2. Drive
    3. Weapon (flipper)

I know according to the procedure I turn on my tx then the rx but which link should i put in next? My flipper weapon link or my drive link?

Please advise

Regards
    Ian Mc Donald

Kim,just out of curiosity, where is the link located on Panic Attack and is it behind a cover?

team_ireland
    Guys can anybody answer my question or does it matter?

Regards
    Ian Mc Donald

I dont think it makes a lot of difference. If the link is in a sensible place then it wont matter if the weapon fires the moment you put that link in, and if you are turning it on in a proper activation pen then there wont be any danger if the drive runs the moment you put that link in.

When testing at home, ALWAYS do a first-time power-up with the robot on its cradle, on a solid surface (not a workbench). The cradle must be capable of keeping the wheels, tracks or legs off the ground, and must itself have no wheels so it wont accidentally go anywhere while there is a robot on it! That way, if the drive goes crazy the moment you power it up then you wont be in danger. Similarly, if the weapon fires when you power it up, then there is no danger of the machine falling off a bench.

Once it is powered up, check your failsafes. To do this, run the drive and turn off the tx. If the drive runs for more than a couple of seconds, then the failsafes are not working.

hey yall i thought i would venture into here and i found this little thread

Our link i will admit is placed in a difficult place but then there is no other easier place to put it on a FBS. Mentorn have always been happy that our robots conform to their rules and we have asked them on numourous occasions to check if something is allowed by the rules and we have always acted accordingly.

Personnally i wouldnt want to even attempt to get at the link if any of the typhoon family went beserk, even the 12kg cdt could take your foot off. we have had a few occasions where things havent gone to plan and the link in the top has proved invaluable.

Ian, I always thought that you should keep the activation of your weapon to the last in an activation sequence. First put in the other links and see if there are no mishaps, then activate your weapon (either by link, gas bottle or switch).

Rob, I only remarked what I heard from Mentorn crew members and from what I read on other discussions, if you found my remarks unhelpful you should have written so and I would have stood humbly rebuked.
    Every robot is dangerous. Full body spinners are no exeption on this, nor are they the most dangerous in my point of view, since I regard every robot with suspicion. No system is foolproof. Having a spinner OOTA and out of control ? That is what fences and polycarbonate screens are for. If not, evacuate the audience and wait for the batteries to run out of power. These are basic and standard rules for any robotic event. By the way... the Dutch roboteers have always hated and ridiculed me for telling the audience over and over again to pay attention and keep away from the fences during a live fight on the Dutch events, I wish they would all have come to the Worthing event and seen what I saw there: if the audience had stood at the fence they would have been hit by Tornado accidentely going OOTA. Believe me, you dont want Tornado going beserk OOTA. Really not. I dont know if it has ever happened but it is one of my many nightmare scenarios.
    EVERY robot is dangerous. And removable links should always always always be within easy reach of the hapless fellow who has to remove it in case of emergency.

Register To Comment