Register To Comment
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tethers

Any news abot the tether i.e what is the best thing to use how to fit em etc

team_ireland
    Am I correct in thinking that a teather is basically a bit of string keeping the flipper attached to the robot if it breaks away from the robot.

Now I Know string would not hold it (5-10mm wire rope would do the trick) but am I correct in what I am thinking a teather is?

Regards
    Ian Mc Donald

yeah, its mainly due to an incident that happened during S7. Someones piston blew through the end of the cylinder, although nothing flew off, it could of! But it was a dam big bang when it went!

They shouldnt have used a 16bar RAM at Full pressure (50bar+) then should they.

Mr Stu

Ive been thinking about this and forgive me for being thick, but if the ram bursts on a flipper, the thing will simply continue to rotate around its hinged pivot. I cant see that tethering anything will stop this, unless the tethers reinforce the pivot point. If you try and stop the sepearting ram you are trying to stop a tremendous force, if you simply allow it to continue in its arc, its likely to flip the robot but not to send any shrapnel anywhere???
    Please let me know if Im missing the point.

teamceros
    From what I gather the tether is in place to stop the flipper going further than it should past the rams stroke especially these new breed of robots that use static rams eg gravity where the flipper is not connected to the ram, this way if the cylinder end did blow off the tether would be designed to stop the movement of the arm to say just above its highest point rather than all the way over and possibly hitting someone behind if they are loading the robot into the arena or powering up. Apologies if I have the wrong end of the stick would not be the first time :P

Francis

http://www.ceros.org.ukwww.ceros.org.uk

ahhhhhh
    now i see

Register To Comment