Register To Comment
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tethers

Cone and wedge anchors are designed specifically for cables of multi strand construction, pass the cable through a tapered fairlead, narrow end first, splay out (or unlay) the strands, insert a cone of identical taper (usually with an axially grooved pattern). When tension is placed on the cable the cone is pulled in with the fibres, the greater the force the tighter the grip. Wedges are used for flat sections, i.e. webbing. A similar method can be used on steel cables, fit into a cone, splay strands in the wide end and fill with solder, or lead on larger sizes, this forms the inner cone. This is the traditional method for securing lift and crane cables, it is also the correct method to use when fitting nipples to Bowden cables (brake and clutch cables on bikes etc). I you have ever had a cable pull through the nipple on a bike cable it is because it wasnt done this way.

I worked as chief technician at Cambridge University Engineering Department for 15 years, during that time we carried out thousands of experiments on terminating aramid cables, flat and round, mainly for use on bridges, many using fancy knots, the only type used currently are based on tapers. Another comment I should make is that aramids should only be used sheathed as they are prone to attack by oils, solvents and UV. Also, the only reason aramids are used on bridges is that their weight/strength to volume is so much lower than steel that they can span greater distances without any special techniques. The belief that steel would not support its own weight over larger spans is a myth, all that is requred is to make the cables thinner towards the center of the span, but due to the complexity of the proccess this has never been adopted.
    BTW. I was also part of the team that modelled the Millenium (wobbly) Bridge to solve its problem.

you can get webbing for winches thats got to be strong?
    cat no WWS8

Register To Comment