Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pressure testing for buffer tanks

Does anyone out there know where I can get my new pressure vessel (buffer tank) tested? I have asked a couple of companies without any joy. Not sure where Gravity got theirs tested. Might have to e-mail WJ.

Dave

As far as I understand the only time PED does not apply is when the item is manufactured by yourself (or your company) and used by yourself (or your company). As soon as it leaves your possesion via retail or gift then PED should apply. Prototypes cannot exist if they are sold as it then becomes a product. Prototypes are for your own personal use.

Take Gravitys ram at 100*180, that should fall into Cat 1 and carry a CE mark as its volume is about 1.4 litres (assuming my calcs are right). You know its good enough for the job and so do I but it still falls into Cat 1.

Please dont think this is a personal attack on you Mario, but we have to be really careful with this type of thing. If these things are not intended for your personal use then PED should apply. PED is unfortunately law and as I understand it there is no simple way of bypassing it.

If things are kept simple, and volumes are kept small then only S.E.P. will apply with little or no PED involvement. At a guess Id say that Cat 1 shouldnt be too much of a problem even with a CE mark, but Id stay well clear of the Cat 2 stuff (something like 150 bore x 180 travel). When we sell our equipment we always issue a statement with it saying that we have evaluated it under PED and then state which catagory it fits into, but this is usually for S.E.P. and Cat 1 stuff. Cat 2 & 3 are more involving.

If I am wrong please feel free to correct me because as Paul says, PED is hard reading so I may have misunderstood it, but from what I understand PED must apply to anything that is not intended for your own personal use.

I was hoping to avoid getting into the PED and hands up, chose to find an easy way out. The easy way out I felt was to use Article 2 paragraph 3:

3. At trade fairs, exhibitions, demonstrations, etc., Member States shall not prevent the showing of pressure equipment or assemblies as defined in Article 1 not in conformity with the provisions of this Directive, provided that a visible sign clearly indicates their non-conformity and their non-availability for sale until brought into conformity by the manufacturer or by his authorized representative established within the Community. During demonstrations, appropriate safety measures shall be taken in accordance with any requirements laid down by the competent authority of the Member State concerned in order to ensure the safety of persons.

Daniel, as someone who uses the PED, you may be well placed to help us out here. You refer to categories based on volume but is there not more to it that just volume. My understanding is that CO2 is a group 2 liquid which leads us to Table 3 in annex 2 for vessels. I can see the 1L limit here but you can also apply the Bar L as well. We run at a maximum of 69 Bar which gives us a maximum volume of 2.9L (using 200 Bar L max limit). If this is the case, then a 140mm bore x 180 stroke ram would be under this limit which happens to be the largest case I have heard of to date. So, if we can keep the Bar L of all components below 200, i.e volumes below 2.9L, then SEP can apply and not PED

What do you think?

Paul

Register To Comment