Register To Comment
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Wow, what a show !!! Unbelievable !!!

On the contrary, Im sorry I caused you offense WJ. Maybe I should have kept quiet, and certainly I should have taken more care about the way I said it. I expressed myself in a way that was open to misunderstanding.

My intention was not to reprimand you nor to make fun of you, but to inform you of a fact in a light-hearted fashion, and hopefully to invite you to share an awareness of humour possible in the situation.

The fact was: The usage prolly can lead to a sub-conscious misunderstanding, not of what you are saying, but of the kind of person you are. It can make you look childish. On this forum this could not happen to the creator of Gravity. On other forums people will without thinking take you less seriously, and weigh your words less than your words deserve.

The joke was: The idea that on THIS forum anybody could mistake the creator of Gravity for a child is ridiculous! *big grin*

(However, after all this the joke is dead, so let it pass, let it pass.)

My thoughts on spelling: (This is not a lesson, just an attempt to put my point of view across. Its just an opinion, other people are welcome to disagree!)

It isnt a matter of doing things by an unwritten rulebook, or of being sure people understand the meaning, but of presenting ourselves to others to the best of our ability. The more work a person does to understand us, the less value they put into what we are saying. A friend of mine is intelligent, capable, and worth listening to. Unfortunately he has a speach impediment that causes his voice to go silent at the beginning of words starting with vowels. He has got into the unfortunate habit of jump-starting his voice by inserting the word like. This is especially unfortunate as the people who normally insert redundant likes into sentences are people who cant think of any words to express themselves. People think less of him by that association.

Spelling and grammar have a similar importance. People judge us by the way we write, without thinking about it. Reading this post, people will assume that I am pompous, pedantic, literate and intelligent - - and opinionated - - and theyd be right! If I wrote in txt-speak, for instance, they would assume I am lazy, illiterate and possibly stupid - - but also opinionated. And theyd stop listening to what I was saying, however right or wrong I was.

It is annoying to be corrected in public, but the people who point out our mistakes are trying to be kind.

Once again, Im sorry I caused offense.

P.S. I, at least, did NOT think you were calling me stupid!

P.P.S. Can we stop this and get back on topic again?

I dont know how I am going to survive until the semi-final... Does Gravity triumph again? It deserves to! (That was a hypothetical question - No spoilers please!)

Oh dear. Maybe Id better get myself admitted to the heart clinic before I watch, as a precaution! :wink:

[ BTW, Ive not come across the word interpunction before. From the context I suspect you mean punctuation? ]

lets get back on topic please.

Flippin fantastic!!

Guess Im just adding my thoughts onto a long list here but well done, Gravity was impressive.

Wheely Big Cheese only ever seemed to get one big lift on people. Gravity just kept on going and going !!!! The Big Cheese guy could learn something from you guys.

Rob

Register To Comment