Register To Comment

Thread: Spinner ruel amendment 2022

Supermotolew
    Hi everyone! hoping i could get some clarification on the 2022 amendment to spinners.
    before i think it said if we met 2 of the 3 perameters we needed prior organiser permission?
    now it says if any of the 3 are met we need organiser permission?
    im trying to set some specs for my spinner to calculate the requirements.

1,150mm diameter so fine with the 11.1.3 50mm rule
    2,Max 500rpm ill be smashing this rule...id hope 5 to 8k!
    3,maximum 10% total weight this will also be tight my beater is 1.2kg but this is without bolts bearing and pullys and motor rotor this is on a dead shaft so have not included non rotating items on the same axis.!!!!

is this litrally a case of emailing all the organisers i might attend with my specs prior to build? does anyone have any experiance in whats normally accepted? luckily this is a modulerbot and the spinner module will have the least use because of event limitation but i would like to have it.

Team Kaizen

Where is this rule amendment published? The FRA's Build Rules still show 2018 on this site.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Supermotolew
    http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/docu...uild-Rules.pdf
    Says for me 2022 edition on front page.

Team Kaizen

Ah, must be a cached page for me, I see it now.

The rules in this section do mean you probably should let the EO's know in advance. Extreme Robots have asked about this in the past, certainly for MWs and HWs so I'd be prepared to have this available to them. Robots Live! still won't allow spinners to run with this in place as their arena is simply not capable of handling them safely.

When I have asked about this previously (several years back now), it was stated that these limits are only for running 'spinners' in Grade 3 arenas and lower, aka the live event arenas that aren't fully sealed and have a net/fabric roof. If you're running a robot in a spinner friendly arena then the only parameter you really need to measure is tip speed (250mph max for all weight classes, 125mph for MW and HW machines at EXR I believe).

My featherweight Drumroll currently has a drum that is about 4kg and spins at 10,000+ rpm. I've never had to speak to an EO about it, or any of my spinners, attending prior to an event, and they have all exceeded one or two of the three limits stated in the rules. So what the rules technically say is that if you turn up to, say, a Robots Live event with a vertical spinner feather that has a 1kg disc, 400mm in diameter spinning at 450rpm, you should be allowed to run it. But in reality, that is less of a spinner and more of a rotational flipper. I've never understood why the rules haven't been updated to clarify this as it reads really oddly for a newcomer when they've watched featherweights with 3kg discs spinning at 5000rpm smashing into stuff.

Supermotolew
    Perfect thanks Jamie, that makes much more sense! by the sounds of it i need to go back to the drawing board and try to add some mass to my spinner! im about 1.3kg now but things are getting dicey with my weight limit..

Team Kaizen

I should still stress that it is up to the EO's discretion as to wherever any robot will run in their arena.

Supermotolew
    yep agree its one of the reasons i wanted a moduler bot i bit of jack of all trades master of none.. i can leave the spinner at home if its an open arena and opefully bring the pincer instead. still looking for another more passive module for less aggresive events maybe a low power flipper that just tips things over ect.

Register To Comment