Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First ever real build lews featherweight

Supermotolew
    Hi everyone!

Been lurking in the background a while now and im finally ready to start a build diary of my first ever build, ill try to keep this updated each week or so with the good and bad progress!

The plan was initially a swiss army bot and may still be ive kept the design a little vauge and moduler so i can be flexible as things progress.

ill start first with a spinner module as its fairley simple mechanically. all of this is work in progress but need to flesh some things out and explore the idea the center portion is completely reserved for weapon modules im aiming for a 50/50 weight between weapon and rest of bot ratio but 40/60 might be more realistic.

CAD1.jpg

Team Kaizen

Looks good, neat looking design
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Supermotolew
    Thanks Lucy

Ok so after struggling with the CAD for a few days and the sizing of components i think im pretty close.. i really just need to flesh things out wifes been a star and got me an early xmas present a 6040 CNC router with 4th axis!
    im so happy to have a play with this, ive wanted one for so long! its taken me a few days to get it set up (thanks TeamSC ) im sure roboteernat is sick of all my questions but has been an amazing help in getting myself set up cheers if you see this!

I decided for my first test ill try a chassis prototype part in mdf and it came out great first try! over the next few days ill start chugging my way through some other parts (im making half the bot as its symetrical and all the parts easily fit the machine.

CNC TEST.jpeg

Supermotolew
    Oh i forgot over the last few weeks i made a little progress on the wheels!

team SC batten boxes on some 65 shore 125mm castors that i have modified in my lill manual mill, i milled the faces flat and milled out the roller bearings this took a little getting right as i wanted to save as much meat as possible!

The hubs are held on the 12mm shaft portion with a keyway then the nut and finally the left hand thread screw with a nice anodised countersunk washer keeps the nut double snug!

In the last picture below you can see (not very clearly a ring between the hub and the wheel rim) i 3d printed a tight press fit ring that matches the hub and the wheel fillet this keeps my hub concentric while i drilled the mounts, im actually going to keep these fitted with epoxy and make them in a lairy colour or glow in the dark filiment!

WHEEL ON MACHINE.jpeg WHEELS MILLED TEST.jpeg MOTORHUB.jpeg WHEEL TEST.jpeg
    Last edited by Supermotolew; 24th November 2021 at 19:24.

Supermotolew
    Ok so ive had some more good progress last night, ive popped out a few more mdf dummys on the cnc. its been usefull i can see i need to make pockets on the inner weapon plate im just awaiting a 5050 motor to test fit the pocket for the motor.

its given me a feel for the space avalible for the rest of the electronics i can now hopefully trim some dimensions down and save a little weight.
    i still need to find a way to get the mill to chamfer the front frame on the ally version, if not ill prob do that on my manual mill.

Not sure why its upside down the source was correct way up ??
    MOCKUP.jpg
    Last edited by Supermotolew; 26th November 2021 at 10:45.

Team Kaizen

Looks very compact, neat loooking (and upside down :P ) What is the overall dimensions of this going to be in the end do you reckon?
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Supermotolew
    Hey Lucy! Ive never actually seen a featherweight before so im kind of making it up as i go but its ablout 380mm wide 110mm high 400mm long. The wooden model above is exactly half as the thing os symmetrical and the full bot wont fit my cnc.

Not sure how to flip that picture!

McMullet
    Looks great Lew, really neat idea to prototype in MDF! Look forward to seeing how it shapes up.

You just need a SRiMech for your camera!

Supermotolew
    Cheers Sam! Its been a learning curve!
    Today i test fitted a front armour peice, it could do with being 2 mm or so higher, i also 3d prinded a motor mount these go top and botom normally but ive not yet got the hardware to test fit them properly.
    20211128_102747.jpg

Supermotolew
    I think its back to the drawing board! I need to reduce the height by 5-10 mm to let it drive inverted doh! Thats with about 18mm ground clearance on the bottom. If i can reduce that by half it might be salvageable as it! Whats everyone's opinion on required clgtound clearance? Fronts scrapes the floor intentionally. Rear is lifted
    (Edit ive managed to fudge the geometery 7mm withought drama so will try this)
    Last edited by Supermotolew; 28th November 2021 at 20:25.

Register To Comment