Register To Comment
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First ever real build lews featherweight

McMullet
    I think we have 10-15mm of clearance on Ensign Wedgeley Crusher (125mm wheels with 100mm of chassis). There are some extra bits that stick out underneath that can get him beached, but 18mm is way more than you need at the wheels so you've plenty of room to play there. From memory I feel like some feathers run with not much more than 5mm all round.

Kinda depends on where the weight sits relative to the wheels and other contact points as well though, so YMMV...

Team Kaizen

Azriel is sightly bigger all around than your design and is raked with the front scraping along the floor and the rear raised. Sam is right in that there are some FWs that run really close to the floor (The Honey Badger was an example of this in its early iterations) but the floors in the arena are not level and you'll find this as you run in them.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Supermotolew
    Hi Sam and Lucy,
    ok great makes sense mines also in 125mm wheels, raked with the front scraping i toyed with the idea of running a ball castor but they seme heavy, might put a nylon pad or simmiler, or just let it scrape.. ive now made it so i can adjust the height with spacers, the only down side was a larger wheel hole but that actually saved me a little wieght too!

Team Kaizen

I used to use ball castors in The Honey Badger and they never lasted. I find that off the shelf things like that tend not to in the arena.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Just let the front scrape. Not only will it make it easier to get under opponents and save weight, but it will also help dampen the steering/control slightly, as sometimes having a really free-running leading edge castor or BB unit can make oversteer an issue which just makes it more difficult to point the robot where you want it to go

agree, let the front edge scrape along the floor. You may even want to try determin the angle to cut the side wedges too so they run as close as to the floor as you can calculate - i tried tat but the calcs were off slihtly so had gc along the front side wedges

Supermotolew
    Ok re designed so the total height has been reduced 5mm to allow some inverted ground clearance, ive also just added 2 small nylon rubbing strips to scrape, unfortunately i couldent wrap my head arount the angles for front scraping but did add 2 wedglet things! Sorry unfortunately no pictures today but all id did was re mill the shorter chassis peices for test fit.

I think im pretty close to placing a laser order for the main chassis parts over xmas, i priced it up it was cheaper to get them cut then it was for me to buy the raw material and do them ! Wild ...

Supermotolew
    Over the next few days ill be looking for inspiration on the wepon modules... the spinners fairly useless for my most local matches and arenas.

Supermotolew
    Ok a quiet week but the cads coming along well! Ive also started playing with more mdf prototypes, space for the battery is a little worrying but i think it will be ok.... exciting news later this week hopefully! While i hunt for spinner motors, ive started the Hydraulic module! Really excited to play with that and get a feel for the weight its the heaviest module im working on.20211220_171615.jpg
    20211215_171428.jpg

Wonky pictures seem to have returned.... sorry!

Supermotolew
    Some exciting progress if a little frustraiting!

A little sneak peak at wepon module 2....

Ive finished putting together the hydraulics enough anyway to test , the motors come out a little long so im hoping to save some length on a brushless swap. Hoping a motor from lucy will suffice but i think really its begging for a 5050-5065.
    20211223_130815.jpg

First attempt ever at milling carbon and the first part of the dampened electronics frames is done pretty happy with the results awaiting more CF and some specilised cutters.
    FB_IMG_1640196728639.jpg
    Last edited by Supermotolew; 23rd December 2021 at 13:18.

Register To Comment