Register To Comment

Thread: Best way to connect multiple lipo's

Team Kaizen

I run my heavier class robots with their batteries in series to up the voltage. These are matching pairs of voltages and capacities so I end up adding in just the one fuse, treating them as a single battery in effect, like you mention for parallel batteries. Do you have a wiring diagram of how this would work? I wouldn't have thought takeoffs in the middle of the series chain would work as you describe but I don't claim to be particularly knowledgable with electrics. Perhaps it is my lack of understanding.

Whilst fusing them individually might make sense, I'd be more worried about exhausting the smaller capacity batteries first. I have that same concern with my batteries in series if I don't get enough time to charge them or change them around. Having a fuse at each stage of the series wouldn't have prevented that I wouldn't have thought?
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

Oh yes, hello!

I think it is worth making a prototype of this with some old SLA batteries or something with a load and measure the voltage at each take off to see what happens. You could put in a inline diode on the drive circuit to prevent a possible problem there but I'd possibly try wiring the battries up in series in one go and then having a take off for the drive with something to reduce the voltage inline to the drive like a potentiometer or something. That way, you'd only need the one fuse for all the batteries, which simplifies the wiring.

As far as cell protection is concerned, I am guessing the balance plugs connected to the Arduino to get a reading for each cell would work with a inline relay between the 4S batteries and the 5S battery to cut the circuit if it was needed but it feels like a lot of parts to go wrong.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Register To Comment